No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identify Moser (?) Cut to Cobalt Persian pattern  (Read 2311 times)

Offline scoutshouseGMB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Fine Art
    • USA
Help identify Moser (?) Cut to Cobalt Persian pattern
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:52:48 AM »
If this is not Moser, please correct me - I found another similar piece that had only a paper sticker, so I'm assuming this is Moser.

I would love to find out if there is a pattern name for this? That's it! Thanks for any assistance...

Offline scoutshouseGMB

• Members
    • Fine Art
    • USA
Re: Help identify Moser (?) Cut to Cobalt Persian pattern
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:29:38 AM »
Even the name of the flower (as I suspect there are no pattern names?) and of course, a date? Thanks again :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Just some thoughts:

) I am not sure that is a Moser piece.

The design of the actual glass and the gilding looks to me to be from an earlier period before Moser started making their own glass:
 (Ref Truitt's Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 pp90)

'After several years of refusal, Moser was finally given permission to build his own glass manufacturing facility in Dvory, near Karlovy Vary (my words here - the next paragraph says this opened in 1893).  Prior to this point, Moser was forced to purchase it's blanks from various glass houses, most notably Meyr's, near Vimperk, and Harrach at Nový Svět.

2) I think the design of the cutting and type of glass (coloured overlay) reminds me of pieces from the 1850s -1860s.

That flat feathery style gilding (but not the same pattern as yours) can be seen on two pieces of white cut to clear and white cut to red 'Deckelvase' ie. vases with lids, in Das Bohmische Glas Band III pp32.  They date to 1850-1855.  However, I tend to think of that darker blue on yours as being a bit later c. 1860s but I could be wrong on that.

3) That said, on page 24 of the same book there are two vases in white cut to  turquoise blue with large leaf style flat gilding and a similar style of drop motif, so quite similar in gilding 'style' to yours, and which also have the Arabian window type design cut onto them and they date to c.1860-1870 and are said to probably be from ' Adolfhutte bei Winterberg' (book is in German).

m

Offline scoutshouseGMB

• Members
    • Fine Art
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Thanks, @flying free

I've inquired in a number of places - Antiquers.com suggested I come here. We continued to bat it around there and with their help I made some progress. They agreed that dating to Mid-19th Century was more accurate. They mentioned Harrach and a number of other glassmakers that may have produced it...

There is more information/background there, if you're interested. I found some magnificent comps on 1st dibs - priced so out of this world, but still interesting - I noticed they didn't mention Moser. The floral gilding on them is really beautiful. Sorry the screenshot needed to be scaled down, but I lost a lot of detail in the process. Maybe there's a better way to do that?

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/vases-vessels/vases/late-19th-century-set-of-three-bohemian-vases-made-islamic-market/id-f_9513361/

Mod: The screenshot image, added in addition to the link, has been removed in line with Board Policy on use of copyrighted images.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:56:41 PM »
Even the name of the flower (as I suspect there are no pattern names?)

Morning Glory?

Offline scoutshouseGMB

• Members
    • Fine Art
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
Thanks so much - that seems likely, @Anne Tique
Have a great weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia