No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Label posting  (Read 3192 times)

Sklounion

Label posting
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:30:57 PM »
Hi,
One of our members posted an item, of Czech/Bohemian origin which had two labels, one of which was a silver star, on circular label (was it Della?). I remember commenting on not having seen it before. If anyone should know which thread I would have been looking at, or indeed was the poster, please show me the link. I may have new info, but need to see that label again.
TIA,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Label posting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:19:13 PM »
Hi Marcus,
That could well have been me.  :)
The link to the thread you mentioned is one of your own;

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2807.0.html

The photos are still on yobunny.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1272

Hope this is what you were looking for.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Sklounion

Label posting
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:45:27 PM »
Della,
Thank you, some times the old grey matter is not what it was.
I now know the origin of the star label, but remain unsure of its significance.
The Czechoslovakian entry won an "Etoile d'Or" for the pavilion. I know that several glass prizes were also won for individual exhibits. I would like to be able to confirm whether this particular set was an exhibit, and thus a recipient of an "etoile d'argent", or that the label was used, irrespective of an award, just to show that Czechoslovakia had won a major prize.

Sadly my latest very over-priced purchase of the work of the Czechoslovakian National Bureau of Exhibitions,(should have been 10€ not 110€)(ouch) , I had hoped would reveal something. :cry:  :cry:

ho hum.............

thanks again, Della,

regards,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Label posting
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »
Oh Marcus, how exciting, if not confusing (for me anyhow :? ) :?

Is the '58,' on the label of significance, is that the year of manufacture, the year of "Etoile d'Or" or maybe both? (Sorry for my seeming ignorance, I simply bought the set because it came with labels, was boxed, and was incredibly inexpensive.)
I know that I have never seen this label before, hence my impulse buy. Any glass that is attractive, and boxed or stickered is of interest to me, as I very rarely see glass with the original box included, let alone with stickers (unless purchased beforehand by a glass collector.) I know when I used to buy things, the first thing that I did was remove the stickers so that I could wash the item.

I am flattered that you remebered that it was I who posted the label. :P  You have an incredible memory.  :D  :D

I await, with baited breath for more news.

Even more embarrasing, for me anyhow :oops:  :oops: , what is "Etoile d'Or"??
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Label posting
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:29:36 AM »
Etoile d'or translates as gold star I think Della.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

Label posting
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:26:03 AM »
Hi, Della,
The "Etoile d'Or" as Anne says, gold star, was the highest award by the judges, of the Brussels World Exhibition in 1958. The medal given to the exhibition design team of the Czech pavilion features in the book, and is exactly the same pattern as your label. It is not unusual for companies to issue labels denoting their success, (Arzberg fired commemorative marks of thier designer's (Loffelhardt) double ceramics success at the 1957 Milan triennale) but etching such on glass would have been difficult, and labels had to suffice.

This is a silver label, but as yet I have not identified whether it was used by Jablonecke Sklo or Jablonexport generally on a lot of items, or solely on this particular pattern. That they (the labels) are not common, is an indicator that they went on that line of product only, suggesting that the designer won an "etoile d'argent".

With your permission, I will post a link to your image, to a friend in the Czech Republic, and ask if he has knowledge of Konak, Platek or Hanus, ever winning an award in Brussels.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Label posting
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
Marcus, of course you may post a link to the photos. Copy-left etc.
Also thank you for the explanation. 8)

Thanks Anne, French never was my best subject at school (and that was a long, long, time ago) :wink:  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand