No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID & Technical help Celery Vase - ID = Brockwitz  (Read 3601 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
ID & Technical help Celery Vase - ID = Brockwitz
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »
I am hoping to ID this celery vase, but am also hoping for some technical info to help get my head round the manufacturing processes involved.
There are four faint seams down  sides and foot, presumably this means moulded or pressed (are these two different processes?), but the patterns seem irregular, (particularly the small "Star of David" type pattern in photo #3), which made me think that they may be cut rather than moulded/pressed. Would the vase be moulded as a plain piece and then hand cut?
Any and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ID & Technical help Celery Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
It's pressed not cut I think. Glass can be moulded by pressing or by blowing into a mould. If you can feel the outside pattern on the inside it was blow moulded.

Sometimes pieces are pressed and then cut, but not in this case. It's just mould irregularities (moulds were cast from hand cut formers).

bfg

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
are they 7 point blackberry prunts? didn't that come up in conversation before as an ID marker?

*brain fade*

Mel

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
Thanks Christine, smooth on inside so obviously pressed then.
Mel, yes7 point prunts.
Date - early 20th century?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
I think it was made by Brockwitz in Germany. Appears in the 1915 musterbuch/catalogue  as celery vase #22452 from the 'Zurich' suite. See:
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Brockwitz-1915.66+B6YmFja1BJRD02NiZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MjU1MCZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD02NiZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Comes in several colours, and is most commonly seen in carnival glass (often called 'curved star' pattern).

Often wrongly attributed on auction sites to Davidson because of the 'blackberry prunts' on the bottom exterior rim of the body.

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks, that certainly appears to be the one.
I am constantly amazed at how quickly IDs are made on this forum

Offline colink

• Members
  • Carnival glass rocks
Re: ID & Technical help Celery Vase - ID = Brockwitz
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
I have one of these in marigold very nice they are as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum