No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese Reverse Painting Paperweights  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Chinese Reverse Painting Paperweights
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
Hi,  Just like to share this find today.  I have never owned a paperweight/scent bottle like this before and amazed on how they are painted.  I have seen them at fares and never really took any interest until now.  I have attached a link and past  GMB post that provides some interesting information and comments. Hope you like them.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7JBpu8RjTw

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5050.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Chinese Reverse Painting Paperweights
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
I agree, they are delightful work. I have a couple lurking around too.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
Yes! it certainly is amazing how they able to carry out this intricate technique.  Some of the more complex ones, can take over a month to a year.   I just don't think the value of some of these really does justice, when you think of the time and effort that has gone into producing these by highly skilled craftsmen. 

Whilst researching for further information I came across this site: http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php   For some reason I thought I was on the GMB Siter for a second.   :o .  I think I need an early night.  ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
Gobsmacked to discover that the snuff bottles are carved out of solid blocks by hand  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8akp9lNIP5M#!

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:08:32 AM »
Me too! Blocks of glass?  I have never heard of that before until now.  Safety is certainly not on their agenda either  :o.   Pittance paid for as stated before...........time, resources, effort and conditions.  All reasons to make me think that these are under valued quality pieces.  I could not believe how close that workman was to the grinder wheel.  One sneeze and he would not be able to reach for a tissue.  Mind you, having said that.  I don't recall even seeing a First Aid box anywhere.   When you think, this film was in the 80's.  It is certainly most shocking to think, people still work in these poor conditions.in the 20th Century.   Anyway, thanks for your info.  It has most certainly opened my eyes :o and that aslo includes looking for more.  ;D 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
The base price of those finished bottles is currently $15+ so not really cheap by Chinese standards and these bottles are the ones used by the artists not the tourist level production. How they work is not much different to western engravers, water keeps the dust away and lubricates but that is not clear in pics... but then this more organised highly skilled craft production then factory style. Blown and moulded bottles are also made and used at the cheaper end.

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
The grinder wheels are coated with diamond abrasive and while they can give you a nasty abrasion they won't cut off your fingers if you slip.  Much more dangerous is the airborne water mist you can see so clearly in the early grinding.  This is filled with glass dust and will be deposited into the lungs of these unprotected workers.  As this glass is likely Chinese K9 crystal it is most probably a lead bearing glass and under these conditions lead poisoning would go along with silicosis.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi Otis
What is the diameter of the weight you have shown ?  I have several of these reverse painted weights in different sizes and I am attaching a picture of my miniatures as the two on each end are only 3.5cm diameter which makes it an even more incredible feat to paint them from the inside when they are this small
Dave

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:53:26 AM »
It is just beyond me, how people can in this day and age still work under those conditions!  The importance with regards to safety as appose to the traditional methods still used even in a western country is what I was trying to say. 

What is the diameter of the weight you have shown ?

Wow!  I was unaware that they are as small as those shown.  It's truly amazing what the Chinese are capable of.   My paperweight measures approx. 7.3cm dia.     Very nice paperweights indeed you've got their Dave!  Did you get these as a job lot?

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I got the two small ones as a job lot then found the mid sized one with the Panda later, this is 4.5cam diameter but I have another at 7cm and four largere ones at 10cm. I believe they make them bigger than this, although I have nevr seen any, but it is the small ones which fascinate me most
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand