No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ident Help Please  (Read 7489 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ident Help Please
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
I don't think it is clear then blue , then crackled then clear again.  I think it is possibly clear, then white, then crackled, then cased in a transparent blue glass which makes the crackle look blue... I think :-\

Whichever way, they are gorgeous.
And Happy Thanksgiving to you - we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK but thank you all the same for your wishes :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Looks blue on inside too. so I don't think so. That would also have an odd effect when it was blown into the mould... but can say for sure.

Interesting nosing around I see that someone has circulated a story that most of the 'Mary Gregory' glasses were made by Hahn & Co in Gablonz... no trace of where that comes fromal thopugh it is on Andrew Linehams site and most descriptions are straight copies of that. His site does have quite a few older examples but pictures are too small to be of any use.

Hahn & Co described themselves as refinery + bead, button and jewellery makers and thus likely to have been mainly an outworkers company. Cannot find much info on them at all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
oh yes you're right, but I think blue on the inside then cased in white then crackled, then cased in blue ?  which makes the crackle look slightly paler than the blue glass cracks in between?
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
not  really possible imho.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
ok, but why then would the cracks in between the patches show as darker blue?  If it was clear in the inside layer, then blue then crackled then clear on the outside layer then wouldn't the cracks show as clear?  as  the crackle would only affect the middle layer and would then leave clear glass in between each crackle? 
Sorry, I really have no idea how glass actually works, so I'm not just questioning arbitrarily but trying to learn something  :)
m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »
Waving a white flag since I've been counseled not to combine items in one thread,  for one last time,  I beg your indulgence.

Below, I've attached two views of the Root Beer's acorns in shaded sunlight + one view of the entire base in sunlight  filtering through a window. Question: is Amber or amberine the correct descriptor for its colour? It appears more honey colored, to my eye.  Base is 8 ½'' in height and 6'' in diameter. Ludwig Moser label.

When you click this photo a magnifying glass will appear, click-- and the photo will enlarge.

A link to the vase on base: http://www.kiowamoon.com/silver/krball.jpg

Frank~

Thank you! NOW I ''get it'' and am able to visualize how the Misses Blue were made.  As a bonus, I learned a new word: marver. Until I came to this forum last week,  I knew nothing with any degree of confidence about antique glass(except when I was young that I was not allowed to touch it.). I find its history fascinating and the search for which maker attaches to what piece is a treasure hunt. 

Search as I had earlier,  I found zip about the ''how'' of the process.

Now, one by one, thanks to all in the Forum who have contributed, the puzzle pieces begin to fit into place.   

As I wrote earlier, when the second MissBlue is back in my hands then I'll begin its own thread.  I find that my photos, taken last week, of broken Ms. Blue's ground are not revelatory(insufficient resolution).  I will take additional photos of her in the sun this week when I go to ''visit'' her in storage.

In the meanwhile,  two differently angled views of the chip: these do not enlarge(I wonder why but I'm no computer whiz kid)

http://www.kiowamoon.com/silver/kmsblue3.jpg

http://www.kiowamoon.com/silver/kmsblue4.jpg

I've prepared for everyone, as a thank you,  my traditional holiday dessert.  You will find at your place a Royal Crown Derby Imari plate on which rests a slice of great grandmother's English plum pudding (flames now extinguished) which is topped with a square of hard sauce which is topped  with a warmed Brandy sauce. Cigars at the table are welcome.

BEST,

MissPrints

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »
Wowser!!! Rootbeer is amber and truly MAGNIFICENT :o
I think that is the most beautiful decorative vase I've ever seen....thanks for sharing  :) and for the pudding of course.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »

In the meanwhile,  two differently angled views of the chip: these do not enlarge(I wonder why but I'm no computer whiz kid)

http://www.kiowamoon.com/silver/kmsblue3.jpg
http://www.kiowamoon.com/silver/kmsblue4.jpg

Best to take at highest camera res and email to me (envelope at left of post)

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »
Good Evening, Frank~

Shall email once I have photos in-hand.

I do have one question--OK, I confess: the next question.

You wrote: The uneven areas you mention on the other piece are an artifact of mould blowing, I presume the exterior surface is not flat. Irregular surface causes the interior surface to reflect the surface as the glass tries to spread at a regular thickness.

Embedded below, two photos of the rim of the Root Beer Moser. 

Photo #1 is a happy accident that the camera provided when it washed out the gilt rim and provided the pattern.  I estimate that the mould lines(if that's what they are, she said somewhat confidently) extend from the rim and that ribbing continues into the throat. Total length:  approximately 1 1/2''( 3.5 cm). 

From the rim downward it 1/2 inch, straight, next a hump or ripple  which extends 1''.
Thence ''south''  the form of the vase is smooth.

Photo #2 
The light play the pattern created.

The vase and base each carry the Ludwig Moser double-eagle round paper labels which are a match to that in Baldwin.

Time of the piece's creation and of its purchase are unknown:  I no longer have any confidence that GGFather's letter,  writ on Carlsbad Ludwig's stationery, necessarily, casts any light on the Root Beer's timing of purchase. 
I did(pre -GMB).
I do not. 

Perhaps, the family simply went to Carlsbad for the waters since GGM frequently suffered the ''vapors''.

Moser did not manufacture his own glass until 1895+.  My family, conceivably, may have purchased the vase in America. Time, unknown. They were frequent travelers to Europe-- as far distant as Jerusalem(GGF was a Mount Joie Chicago Knight Templar).

In sum: all I can actually know with any confidence is that Mr. Root Beer was decorated by Moser if the mould is pre 1895. If that's the case, then who made the mould? Does that distinctive indented ribbing provide any clue?

I read another's listing on ebray who flat-out stated that ALL Moser pieces were signed either with a diamond point signature or enameled in gold --and I forget the third.  High priced piece of glass, it is. For one thing I always rear back whenever anyone avers  ''always'' since there are exceptions. That seller's contention continued  that lacking a Moser signature of the type they described then a piece was fake.  Ah huh. My thought was ''not so fast''.

What say you-- or what say the Room?

[I hope I didn't just start WWIII with a favored but unknown to me GMB poster, whoever they may be--but I am curious).

I  pull on my pith helmet and await word from the Front,

MissPrints

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »
You will never find who made the glass. Glass production was probably at they time still nomadic, going where the trees were. Not sure when glassworks switched to gas and other fuels in Bohemia but must have been going on at that time r they would have no trees left! Takes a lot of trees to run a glassworks on them.

Thanks for the detailed pics of blue vase. I guess it must be the layer built enamel decoration and quite amazing it is too... but it could still imho be cameo. Quality is of the absolute highest and I only wished I could handle such a piece you are very lucky indeed. Try and find other examples of such quality on the web and outside a museum... not easy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand