No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ident Help Please  (Read 7453 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ident Help Please
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
this vase is id'd as Harrach.  It's a stretched shape so a little difficult to be entirely sure whether the blank is the same construction as  the enamelled Mulhaus vases in question at the beginning of this thread, but it looks very similar to me - id'd as Harrach
http://www.madforglass.es/Harrach/Harrach_1442b.html

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
looks a good match...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
If so then possibly Marney's vases were made by Harrach as blanks and decorated by Muhlhaus?
m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening(depending on a reader's GMT zone)

Once Miss Blue is returned here, I'll start her own thread.

Note: those glorious darker veins to the glass, in my vase's case(PI), are actually CLEAR.

The darker blue crackling is an optical collusion: whether the viewer is close or removed from the vase (save, with your nose pressed to the glass) the eye, actually, is looking through the clear glass veins to the blue of the interior of the vase.  The eye and brain decide that there is a darker blue present.   

The darker blue colouration appears, literally, to be present--- but it's magic. 
It is, truly, not present.
I looked.
Found a white rabbit instead.
Got carrots?

BEST!

Marney

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »
Marney I think your vase is probably Harrach-made for the blank as per the link I gave (if the id is correct ... and that site generally has good id's ) and enamelled by Muhlhaus (reference Truitt's given earlier in the thread)

With regard how the vase was made,
are you saying the interior layer of the vase is actually blue?  or is it clear then as Frank said, blue internal crackle layer, then clear again, therefore if you look through the vase, because the crackle interior layer  is blue then it appears you are seeing blue through the 'clear' parts of the crackle gaps as it were. 
Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm curious to know what technique they did use and it sounds as though Frank was right at the beginning  :)

m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »
Hello, flying free~

I'm under two flags here and it's my fault(it usually is).
The Moderator requested that I not mix two vases in one thread.
I was new and the doubling up sorta happened, although I gave it a hearty shove.

It would probably be wisdom (and avoid my getting the boot) if we waited until the good vase arrives and then discuss.

Short version: yes, Frank was correct.  Cased.

You wrote: because the crackle interior layer  is blue then it appears you are seeing blue through the 'clear' parts of the crackle gaps as it were. 

Yes, Madam. Precisely.

It  is the white lady that is the puzzle which tantalizes: enameling or cameo.
A puzzle which,  hopefully,  we may solve in the new Blue thread.

Attached-- a view into the vase(and here I go again).  The new thread will include photos taken in blocked sunlight versus these flash photos taken inside a building.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
Your vases are enamelled Marney, not cameo cut in my opinion
and it would be good if someone could come along and confirm they are Harrach production as then you will have a current id for your vases as above.

and sorry, I was about to say I'm confused but I'm not  confused.  This thread is the thread for the blue vases  :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
Marney - you will not get booted off for "minor" thing every newbie does - we were all newbies once.  :-*
Besides - you have absolutely stunning glass, a curiosity and tenatiousness about researching it we all appreciate and a lovely sense of humour - I'm so glad you have found us, what joy you have brought us in the short time you've been here - thank-you.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MissPrints

• Members
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
Most kind words, Chopin-Liszt.  Thank you.

I am mindful that the posters here have sufficient business to occupy their time and that you choose to share with me is stunning.  It's as if I have been invited into a Curator's Museum and I am allowed to ask questions and receive answers that would take me a lifetime to discover--and even then could I trust my own discovery work? No. As I  have, happily, learned.

This Board is an utter joy~ and if there's a giggle, now and then, found in my words then it matches my usual style.

Miss GOOD (or, Great, as I prefer to think on her) Blue Vase will arrive next week.
She almost slipped through my fingers but I pulled her back in the nick of time.
Which didn't please a particular party but they should have dealt with me in a direct fashion.

I will list another item for an ID. A gilt encrusted glass basket--but(whispering a promise to the Moderator) I will create its own thread.

Marney

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
What are your thoughts on Flying-free's current (and very likely to be correct) attribution?
That the glass was created by Harrach and decorated by Muhlhaus.
I agree fully with f-f that it has been enamelled, I think cameo is highly unkliely - the main body is shiney smooth - it really doesn't look as if it has been fully encased in opaque white enamel at some time!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand