No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ident Help Please  (Read 7454 times)

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
Re: Ident Help Please
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
Being the 2 week wonder expert on glass, let me say that I believe that  f-f's Harrach/Mulhaus is correct.

Changing topics:
In case I cannot find a thread to link to this auction:

BONHAMS (LA) auction
3 December 2012 --10:00 a.m. (Pacific time)
Fine European Furniture and Decorative Arts
Auction 20076

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20076/

A few elegant glass items for the GMB library sideboard~

Lot 379  pair of lamps

Lot 354  pair of jardinieres(FAB!)

Lot 396  pair of Continental glass ewers(to die for)

Lot 421  pair Bohemian glass decanters, late  19th Century

If there's any money left over in the site's piggy bank, you could add this
drop-dead Bronze of a horse and jockey: Lot 25. The tie-down has been broken and is wrapped around one rein(that oddball flying piece) . The patina is lovely, if a bit rubbed. The horse is being pulled-up--he is not trotting. A horse does not trot with its mouth open since the rider is pulling on the bit.  Duh.

Marney

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
Marney, if you have time, please could you upload your pictures of your blue crackle vase with white enamelled lady on, directly to the board?
Much appreciated, and thank you.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MissPrints

• Members
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »
<waving happily at flying free)

AHA! Now, I find my thread...

I just added a new thread for ELIZABETH, the sister vase.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51209.msg290285.html#msg290285

Marney

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
I've replied on the other thread :) and thank you again.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
For the record this decor is by Harrach and is known as 'Malachit'  In this instance it would be 'blau Malachit'.
'Malachit' does not refer to the colour of the stone but to the crackle effect in the stone, and was produced by Harrach in varying colours.
The source is
'From Neuwelt to the Whole World' Jan Mergl page 173
Various colours are shown in the book but the one on page 173 is green crackle on a black glass and describes the Malachit decor as follows:
'Execution: schwarz Malachit. .... Malachite glass first appeared in the Harrach production around 1855.  However, naming it after the precious stone malachite did not refer to the colour of the glass, since the glassworks produced other colour variations of this type of glass with names such as weiss Malachit and blau Malachit.  The name thus refers more to the structure of the stone of whih crackled glass is reminiscent.  ...'
m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
Thank you!, M, for once again providing answers/confirmations. I truly do appreciate your kindness.  I'd bet that the green/black Malachit presentation is a stunner.

''Malachit'' is logical for the green (malachite (Eng.) =semi-precious gemstone)~ it's interesting that they determined to add blau = blue~ to Malachit to also describe a vase such as mine.  The gemstone most certainly can have that crackle effect although the fissures more generally appear in random order rather than in a ''German precision'' pattern as represented by my vase, for instance.

BEST!

Marney

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
Hi Marney
There is also a weiss Malachit and a pale brown version in the book.  The decor is definitely 'Malachit' and would only refer to the crackle effect rather than being the colour green.

The large pale brown vase in the book was registered as 'Email Malachit' as it is enamelled (Email) It has lots of white enamel but also other colours on it and is not the same type of white enamel as your vase.  It was shown at the Vienna World's Fair in 1873.  The white version in the book seems to date to 1862.

The green dates to 1860 and is on a black Hyalith glass base, with the green opaline overlaid and then crackled and then cased in clear.
The others are the same as yours on a clear base with the opaline glass overlaid and crackled then cased in clear.
The blau Malachit versions under Muhlhaus in Truitt's date variously to 1895 to 1900 according to Truitts so it seems they were producing this decor over a longish period.  There is no blue in the Harrach book that I could see.

m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
    • artistic glass
    • USA
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Thank you again, M. You always bring much to the table.

Speaking of tables and Malachite, years later I remember this :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ermit%C3%A1%C5%BE.jpg

Across the room(larger than a football field)  from that beauty was another Malachite piece of like size -- an ovoid ''bowl'' on a pedestal similar to a serving piece that you would see on Katharine's banquet table.

When sister #1  stood--with right hand , palm up, raised to shoulder level-- sufficiently distant from this second piece and sister #2  shot the proper camera angle  then the finished photograph made it appear as if sister #1 was carrying the malachite fruit presentation dish  in the matter of a waiter.  In truth,  sister #1 wished to port both pieces into her suitcase and take them back home except, due to their sizes, that would have been a task impossible. The Hermitage is a treasure trove of history and fabulous art.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
Wow!  that is one amazing piece of art - thank you for sharing :)
And I'm immensely envious you have been to the Hermitage.  I spend a LOT of time browsing their glass collection online as they own a stunning collection of very interesting glass pieces.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand