No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Sea Hawk Paperweight? ID = Caithness "Eagle dome"  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Caithness Sea Hawk Paperweight? ID = Caithness "Eagle dome"
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »
Browsing Ebay, I came across this paperweight:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/caithness-paperweight-/170939732687?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item27cccd52cf

An etched Osprey in flight.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm  ::)   I knew I had one somewhere, and managed to find it.   On the base, reads CIIG and the initials DC CG.  Height approx. 9cm.  It would be interesting to know what the one currently live on Ebay sells for.   Currently there are two bidders and approx. 12 hours to go.  I have saved it in my watch list as a matter of interest only.  The description seems to be very brief and there in no dimensions or even a picture of the base.  I wonder if there are any markings to the base I wonder?  I think I might send an email .  ::)  I have not taken a picture of the base of mine yet, as I am not able to get a good quality picture of the markings.  Hopefully someone will be able to identify the initials as stated above.  Most of the CIIG paperweights I do own only have that marking, that is, CIIG.  This is the only paperweight that I have with initials inscribed too.  Does this signify that it may be practise piece before going into production?   Comments and I.D appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Caithness Sea Hawk Paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »
Not an Osprey, or a "Sea Hawk". This weight is "Eagle Dome".

Details in this page in Scotland's Glass website.

The "DC" initials are probably "DS", since the design was from the Caithness "Design Studio" team.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
Correct: "Eagle Dome" - and the catalogue gives Caithness Design Studio as designer. However, at least in catalogues this is always abbreviated CDS - and I have never seen that on an actual paperweight.

I would assume DC to be Douglas Cowie - but then, neither have I ever seen a second marked with the engraver's initials. On the other hand, if classified a second at a rather late stage, it could have been initialled before.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »
Hi, yes! it definitely is marked DC & CG.  I have attached a picture that will confirm this.  You may have difficulty in reading the DC, due to the discoloured air pocket within the paperweight.  Is it possible the the marking CG just mean CIIG and the DC as you have mentioned  as being Douglas Cowie I wonder?  Then again, I just can't understand why they would mark it twice.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:01 AM »
Is it possible the the marking CG just mean CIIG .....?  Then again, I just can't understand why they would mark it twice.
CG will not "mean CIIG". CG means it's Caithness Glass, and CIIG means it's a second from Caithness Glass.

For the fact that we have both markings I can only think of one explanation (see above): the weight was finished and marked CG (Caithness Glass) and DC for the engraver (most likely Douglas Cowie) as usual ... and only after that (possibly due to the air pocket) it was decided to make it a second (marked CIIG).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
Hi Wuff

I would have thought that Caithness would normally have done the quality check on the weight
before the engraved it?? No point in spending the time engraving it if it is going to be rejected.

My copy of the sea eagle weight is simply marked "Caithness Scotland"

Best regards

Derek

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
The engraving dept might not have notice the blemish in the base (if that was the reason for second mark) and just signed after engraving. Is it copper wheel or sandblasted?

Another possibility is it was just marked to justify a lower price range if stock was low in the shop at the price range.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »
and only after that (possibly due to the air pocket) it was decided to make it a second (marked CIIG).

Yes! that does seem likely now you have mentioned it.  All the CIIG paperweights I do have, are not signed by an engraver.  This is what had me confused.

I would have thought that Caithness would normally have done the quality check on the weight
before the engraved it??

I would have thought so Derek, but as Wuff has mention does in my opinion seem the likely reason.  There are bound to be some that slip the net during the quality checking process, don't you think?

Is it copper wheel or sandblasted?

If you are referring to the Eagle Dome.  I would  definitely say, Sandblasted.  Bare in mined, I'm no expert on the subject matter, hence my reason for now looking up the difference in finished markings dependant on what tool was used.

Whilst carrying out this investigation based upon your query, I stumble across this on Youtube.  I would have thought the same method/principal would apply, don't you think.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=0JflDWJPURI&NR=1

I thought by showing this, would give a better pictorial view on the subject matter of sandblasting as appose to copper grinding, even though, yes! it is not a paperweight on this particular site.  ::)  Hopefully it will assist people like myself that don't have the required knowledge on the finish technical term when various tools are used .  :)

Here is one of the other sites viewed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWzIJGUjfQ

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Caithness Sea Hawk Paperweight? ID = Caithness "Eagle dome"
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »
I have three versions of this pwt.  One has no markings at all on the base.  One has a clear DC - I assume Douglas Cowie was the engraver.  The last has "Caithness Scotland" engraved on the base plus a paper label witha sticker "Caithness Engraving".

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Caithness Sea Hawk Paperweight? ID = Caithness "Eagle dome"
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

Hi Ross.

I have one like yours with 'Caithness Scotland' engraved, and a paper sticker 'Caithness Engraving' - image attached.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand