No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars bubble weights  (Read 5461 times)

Offline glvr

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • england
Whitefriars bubble weights
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
Completely new to this, I'm wondering how to identify genuine Whitefriar items.

I've seen some which have a large bubble as well as the smaller ones - and I think they're genuine.

But I've also seen some which don't appear to have the large bubble - and I'm wondering if they'r enot Whitefriars.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: Whitefriars bubble weights
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
as far as i know it's only the ruby red ones that dont have the large bubble in the centre ..... anyone know why this is?
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glvr

• Members
    • england
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
Ah... thanks.

It was a ruby one that I'd seen minus the large bubble. This suggests that it might be genuine then - or are there other manufacturers?

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
Ray Annenberg told me that there was an additional shift glassmakers could work as overtime and on one occasion Ron Wilkinson was working this shift and making these Ruby bubble weights - and at some speed to earn a bonus-  but Ron forgot to put the central bubble in and when he reaised this he told the other glassmakers of his error and from that point on they all left the central bubble out of ruby weights BUT those Ruby weights made before this incident did have a central bubble in.
Hope this clarifies things
Dave

Offline glvr

• Members
    • england
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
Thanks, it does.

Since first posting, I'd searched and read that it was harder to do the big bubble on Ruby - but I've no idea whther that's true.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
I am sure it is no harder to put a bubble in a ruby paperweight than any other colour but there are ruby weights around with the central bubble.  I believe the glassmakers at Whitefriars were paid an overtime rate plus an additional amount depending on how many pieces they made and in his efforts to make as many weights a possible Ron forgot to put the bubble in and the rest is history
Dave

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
When you know how easy it is to put a bubble in a paperweight its hard to believe they just stopped . are the bubbles controlled or just all over the place. controlled i mean in lines
stew
there is always someone worse off .

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »
Been following this with interest  Dave, and if it didn't come from such a good source it could be the start of an urban myth ;D
The 9308 were around from the '40s and probably thousands were made and trust me the ruby without the larger central bubble are extremely rare. A few of the other colours made including early sea green and sapphire do appear from time to time without the central bubble but the vast majority have the central bubble.
Also another theory that's been mentioned  is it was harder to put the central bubble in a ruby one? and because of this and the density of the colour meant you could not see the bubbles very clearly anyway they were omitted?
So to sum up, the vast majority of ruby were made without the central bubble and the vast majority of the other colours were made with the central bubble.
Chris

Offline glvr

• Members
    • england
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »

...trust me the ruby without the larger central bubble are extremely rare.

...So to sum up, the vast majority of ruby were made without the central bubble and the vast majority of the other colours were made with the central bubble.

The first bit seems to contradict the latter. Please, which is correct? (I think the first line has a typo and should read 'ruby WITH the larger central bubble are extremely rare'.)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
Sorry it was a late night :)
The 'theory' they were made on an overtime shift could explain why the odd one in all colours turns up without the larger central bubble but not why ruby very rarely turn up with the central bubble
So to sum up, again ;D of the the thousands of ruby that were made over the years very, very few were made with the extra large central bubble, yet of all the other colours that were made over the years the exact opposite appears to be the norm very few were made without it.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand