No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars bubble weights  (Read 5459 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Whitefriars bubble weights
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
So, is a ruby weight with bubble worth more than one without?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
To clarify this situation, ruby weights WITH a central bubble were made prior to Ron Wilkinson leaving the bubble out but I have only ever seen four of these. For years after Ron's ommission ruby weight were made WITHOUT a central bubble and if anyone sees Ray Annenberg I know he will confirm this
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
Not disputing the fact Dave that the information Ray gave that 'fatty' made the ones without the large bubbles for the reason you state but look at it logically and it doesn't make sense? Ruby, post war was one of the most popular colours so if it was that simple they should be loads of them around along with the rest of the colours complete with the central bubble and by your own admission there are not. I myself have probably only seen 3 or 4 compared to 100s in other colours over the years and by the same token have not seen many apart from ruby without the bubble.
To clarify there are very few ruby with the central bubble and very few other colours without so surely logic dictates there must be other reasons why so few are actually around do the maths and it doesn't make any sense one contradicts the other surely?
Loads of twilight examples with the central bubble but very few without
Loads of Ruby examples without the central but very few with.
Chris

Offline glvr

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • england
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
There were two ruby-and big-bubble versions sold recently on Ebay - and at what seems a low price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITEFRIARS-RUBY-CONTROLLED-BUBBLE-PAPER-WEIGHT-9308-/261122697037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whitefriars-Ruby-Paperweight-/321017359949

I bought what seems to be a darker one (no big bubble) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160797295583? - it's so dark that you can barely see the bubbles even when held up to the light.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
Hi, the darker ones were made with a ruby core as opposed to a flint core maybe earlier ones? not sure but maybe another reason why the larger bubble was omitted 'cause you can't see it anyway.
Did you buy one of the two.
Don't really keep up with Whitefriars sales now, though it is a good time to buy but dealing wise sadly died a death over the last 4 years. I can remember 5 years ago buying every piece of W/f that came up knowing it would sell, at one time I sold nothing else, now unless it's something special I don't even pick it up though the textured range and the millefiori weights still do well so too some of the rarer colours.
Chris

Offline glvr

• Members
    • england
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »
No, I didnt get one of those two - and wish I had, but I only started to get into this in the past week-or-so.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
have they all got the ground pontil as i have seen some called whitefriars without
stew
there is always someone worse off .

Offline glvr

• Members
    • england
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
have they all got the ground pontil as i have seen some called whitefriars without
stew

Here's a pic of the bases of ruby one I bought, and another arctic blue(?).

The ruby is darker than it seems in the pic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand