No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frilly vases - help with identification please.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline vev402

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • georgian/victorian
    • UK
Frilly vases - help with identification please.
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
 I found this pair of vases in a job lot box in the local auction, Any information on age and origins would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Frilly vases - help with identification please.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
hello and welcome to the GMB. :)        Regret not really my area, but just a little information until someone knowledgeable looks in.
These vases are in a style/design which was common around the late C19 - something like 1880 - 1890.      The clear glass decoration looks possibly to be stylized leaf trails, also the crimped/wavy decoration of the rim is in keeping with Victorian fashion - both of these styles appear very commonly on late Victorian decorative glassware.    However, I'm less sure about the colour  -  it's always possible these are Continental - owning a piece of glass in one country doesn't always mean it was made there, unfortunately.       Country of origin is often the Achilles heel when it comes to glass.

Where possible please include pix of the underside of the base, and remember to give dimension of height  -  this helps people here to better understand what you have, and information about wear (or lack of) is also very useful.

They are an attractive and useable pair of Victorian vases - a good find. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
Can we have a picture against a plain white background. Have you checked to see if they glow bright green under a UV light. I agree with Paul on date and would veer more towards England rather than Bohemia because of the acanthus leaf.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
If the body colour is "clambroth" they might be American!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vev402

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • georgian/victorian
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Many thanks for these comments. I will try and post a better photo tomorrow. The vases are about 6" high. I have not yet tried them under UV but will do so whenI can and let you know the results.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand