No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple bowls or plates - Scandi?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Purple bowls or plates - Scandi?
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:26 AM »
I've been down in the basement (an unusual feature of houses in Australia) to find some long-neglected treasures. This shallow bowl or deeply dished plate is one from a pair we acquired years ago. We have no recollection of where or when we found them or how much we paid. They are each about 25.5cm in diameter by just over 5cm high and weigh around 950g.

If nothing else, this query and a few others to follow will show the by-ways of earlier directions in a collecting experience. These days we focus on studio glass by local artists and those who have influenced them. But it would be nice to know these old friends better, so any help with identification will be greatly appreciated.

Trevor

See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Purple bowls or plates - Scandi?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
Not sure if mine is going to help much , I too have no idea who made it.

It's larger and the dimensions are approx. 37cm by 32 cm and the diameter of the foot of the bowl underneath is 8.3 cm or 3 1/4 inches.

The only practical use for it, that I could think of , is to put a dipping sauce in the middle and lots of nibbles around the rim  :) 
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:28 AM »
My speciality it seems: (1) providing an identification many years after the original query, and (2) answering my own id question. This time I think I can do both. At least the original poster is still interested in the answer in this case!

I believe these items are Whitefriars 9022. There is one the same shape in the book Whitefriars Glass by Leslie Pina in plate 118 on page 126. It is the same dimensions within a couple of millimetres. There are others on ebay and Worthpoint. I'm less trustful of those identifications, although the varied angles of view do appear to confirm that they are from the same source.

Whitefriars 9022 has been seen before on the board here and here.

I can't find one in the same colour, however. Can anyone identify the colour for me, please?

I note this id is 7 years and 61 days from the original query. My record for providing the answer is 7 years and 115 days here. This is, however, a personal best for the time taken to answer my own question.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:06:30 AM »
Colour would be aubergine. 9022 is in the late sixties catalogues but they don't mention it in this colour (or meadow green which is the other bowl colour on this thread).
https://whitefriars-glass.com/whitefriars-catalogues.php

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand