No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Candle Holder Info. & I.D Request  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Crystal Candle Holder Info. & I.D Request
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:18:58 AM »
Hi,  Can anyone identify this unusual design candle holder.  I would be very interested to know how it was made.    The octagonal tapered base stand,  appears to be hollow and the eight flats on the top section of the base stand are slightly concaved.  The candle itself, internally,  down to the base is also hollow.  The base hole measures 1.4cm and the  first top section where the hole begins, 4.2cm down is only approx. 0.5cm dia..  There are a few air pockets within the main stem of the candle holder.  The octagonal base is a flat polished base with clear signs of ware.  I am sure this candle originally came as a pair.  I have tried to find one like it but to know avail.   There are clear embossed markings to the one of the sides of the octagonal base, that reads: REGIST. APPLIED FOR.  I have not seen this type of markings before.   This may not be clearly visible in pictures taken.    I am wondering whether this means that this was a first design/trial piece prior to going into production?    I have tried looking up to find out what this means, but not having much luck.    Any help is appreciated!

Weight 550kg

Height  23.8cm

Base Dia.  10.9cm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Crystal Candle Holder Info. & I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
It was pressed probably in two parts and then joined just below the candle holder itself. A straight side on shot would help. It's not uncommon. This one has a hollow stem and is joined at the second bulge down
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=904

REGIST. APPLIED FOR just means that the design registration was applied for but not yet granted. This was a production piece not a trial. The mould with the text on would have been changed to have the registered number on at some point. It was just a way of saying "don't copy our design because we will have legal protection soon" and is not particularly unusual

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »
It was pressed probably in two parts and then joined just below the candle holder itself.

On close up inspection with ref. to the above comment, I am unable to find any joins.  This is not to say there isn't any.  The candle holder is well made, so maybe the reason why I am unable to find any.  I suppose in the hands of an expert/s, they would be able to tell.

A straight side on shot would help.

I have taken additional pictures.  I am not sure if this is what you are referring to, but hope this will help.  If you can be specific, I will try and take a better picture in the area you require.

This was a production piece not a trial.

If this is a production piece as you have stated, does this mean that the candle holder went into production?  My reason for asking this, is that I have been trying to find one that is the same or very similar in design.    At the moment, I am struggling to find any more and that is not to say they aren't any, as I am assuming even as a production piece, they would be a pair at least?  I hope these additional pictures will assist you.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
It doesn't seem to have a join, which means it was made in one piece. Yes it was a production piece; it is pressed and pressing something like this requires a complicated mould and plunger. These are and were expensive and costs had to be recouped. Who knows how many were made; it may not have sold well. If everything that was made was kept, we'd be over run by stuff.

We still need a straight side on shot; the pattern looks vaguely familiar but I can't see the whole picture. Put it on a flat surface with a plain dark background and get your camera so that the lens lines up with the middle of the candlestick column and then move so the whole thing is vertical and in shot. Get down at eye level with it.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
We still need a straight side on shot;

I have attached a straight shot picture, as per your request.  I hope this will help Christine.

If everything that was made was kept, we'd be over run by stuff.

I am not sure what you mean.  Is this with ref. to:

If this is a production piece as you have stated, does this mean that the candle holder went into production?  My reason for asking this, is that I have been trying to find one that is the same or very similar in design.    At the moment, I am struggling to find any more and that is not to say they aren't any, as I am assuming even as a production piece, they would be a pair at least? 

I am aware that items manufactured by a company not always go into production, however,  this item in question is a  production piece, so I can only assume either one or two things.  The candle holder was probably the only one made.  If mass produce, hopefully I will  be able to find another during my research.   My chances at the momemt, look very bleek.   

To retain items made that do not go into production or still awaiting approval, can of course be an issue and I do understand that.  Is this what you meant?

we'd be over run by stuff.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »
It is extremely unlikely that only one was made. All I was trying to say is that stuff gets thrown away when people tire or have no further use for it, so if only a few hundred were made you might never see another. I have many glass productions items that I have only ever seen one of

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
Hence why I said 'probably' and yes I quite agree, a lot does get thrown out.  I can only assume,  someone is rifling through the skip.  ;D  It still would be nice to know who made it though. Any ideas?

the pattern looks vaguely familiar.

Oh! was the additional picture to your requirments?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »
Yes but I don't have an answer.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
Thanks for you info. so far.    This has been of great help.   Hopefully perseverance will achieve my aim to find out more about this candle.  Cost is irrelevant, it is just so unusual compared to other candle holder I currently have collected.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
Is pillar solid or hollow? If solid, no reason it could not be moulded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand