Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Dumbfounded: reversible compote - American Brilliant

<< < (2/2)

Lustrousstone:
That I believe is the effect of using a manganese compound as the decolorising agent, and what I was trying to explain to Butchie Dog on his post on sun purpling. I also think that the consensus is that manganese is an out of date decoloriser, and its presence can therefore sometimes be used to help guide dating. Occasionally it can be seen in less than total darkness (the airing cupboard is always a good bet!) but that may be in glass where a manganese salt is used as a colorant. This manganese effect is often misattributed to uranium in green glass, but its a completely different glow

Nancy128:
Yes, you're right it is a different green glow.  I was just trying to give an example what someone should be looking for when they black light a piece of ABP, EAPG or Flint.  If it is an authentic piece it will turn a lime green.

jpopenoe:
That was a wonderful reversible comport and could very likely have been American Brilliant.  Also keep in mind as I'm sure you know that not all American Brilliant Cut Glass Co's glass fluoresced,  Hunt Cut Glass Co for one was known to not fluoresce green.  Also there was also reference to WC Anderson and some receipts that were found in his clothes for glass blanks from France.  WC Anderson was one of the important glass cutters and designers for Libbey and also founder of the short lived American Cut Glass Co.  His patterns and pieces fetch big dough quite a bit.  So,  as much as many collectors of abp cut glass prefer to have the color fluoresce green,  there are other great pieces out there that don't.  Your shape and form of your piece look American to me, Val St Lambert's early turn of the century glass does too.  Thanks for sharing the recipe that was great.  There are alot of good deals to buy and sell on ebay if you look for the right things at the right time.  There are some real sharp glass buyers on ebay and not much passes them buy.  I know I hunt to buy too.  Chip

paradisetrader:
With respect Nancy, I cannot agree with your hypothesis and have to agree with Chip that "not all American Brilliant Cut Glass Co's glass fluoresced"

I have just conducted your experiment, in total darkness, as you suggested, with a wide range of cut glass including known ABC from c1887 and a piece with a silver collar hallmarked 1903.

All showed a reflection of the purple color of the black light. This is what I believe you were seeing when you said " ABP will floresce purple". It is NOT flourescence but reflection.

None of the pieces I tested, older or newer showed any shade of green.

I am informed that there were 3 periods of ABC. Tuthill belongs to the later 3rd period, when designs were less crowded.

glasswizard:
I also have to agree with Peter and while I am about it IMHO I think it is foolish and unwise to use a blacklight to determine the age or authenticity of  glass unless you are specifically looking for glass containing uranium.

I live in a basement and believe me at night there is total darkness and with my blacklight, none of my EAPG, Cut glass, or Flint will shine with an unearthly glow.

I am not saying that some will not glow, I am sure it does, but we must remember that at the time much of this was made, glassmaking was an inexact sicence. Hence you will find aberrations. Terry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version