No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: smoked glass cameo tankard - ID = Dartington  (Read 2259 times)

Offline MANDI

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • England
smoked glass cameo tankard - ID = Dartington
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
This is a well made smoked glass tankard. Heavy glass with a round pontil on base. There is an attached cameo on the front with what looks like deer/or a rose maybe as it is not too clear. It looks like 1970's glass and I wondered if it could be Wedgwood and if not Scandanavian. Very heavy base. Strange design! Anybody have any ideas please?

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: smoked glass cameo tankard
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Dartington could be worth looking into.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »
I second your suggestion, Greg.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
under the heading of 'Rarer Pieces' - page 159 of Linda and Stuart Smithson's book, this does look very much like FT1.    A tankard made in midnight for the period 1967/8 and 1969 only.     Someone else confirm please. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »
This is the commemorative FT1 tankard for 1969, same book (p146) describes it as the Dartington Hall Seal (rose design with hart lying in middle).

They produced this tankard with a different design on it each year.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
apparently, this particular seal, along with some others on the FT tankards, was designed by Kim Thrower.        I don't know if this one was issued in any sort of limited or numbered edition - some were, although I wouldn't call numbers in the thousands 'limited'.        Nice tankard, and midnight more attractive than clear, maybe. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
Perhaps we could call those editions 'not very limited'... The limited runs were engraved on the base, so easy to distinguish from the unlimited.

I don't recall seeing one of these tankards in midnight before but here is one in kingfisher (made in 67 or 68): https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/DartingtonGlass#5752079486296159602

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand