No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted Vase Marked France and with a F = Espaivet  (Read 3387 times)

Offline antpro

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • scotland
Frosted Vase Marked France and with a F = Espaivet
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
Opalescent Frosted Vase Marked France and with a F and I think two other letters a W and a T. Does anyone know what maker this could be? The France is in capitals and impressed the other letters are impressed. The vase is 5.25 inches high.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Opalescent Vase Marker France and with a F
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
Hello and welcome!

It's not an 'F', but an 'E' for 'Espaivet'.

I know because I've owned examples with a clear mark. Not sure who Espaivet were though, but rumour has it the name came from the pronunciation of the initials 'SPV'.

btw. your vase looks like plain frosted glass to me, not opalescent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »
I like to see a picture of the mark, does not sound like any of the Espaivet marks which was Societe Parisienne de Verrreries. Though I am sure Steven is right.

Offline antpro

• Members
    • glass
    • scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
Thanks for all your help once I had a lead from Steve I could make out the mark and I am totally happy it is made by Espaivet. I realise it not opalescent but frosted thanks for all the help.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »
I would still like to see a pic please.

Interestingly the present SPV company (bottles/containers) was established in 1957, so possibly just a new registration of a company that had been liquidated to benefit from whatever reputation the earlier company had. http://www.gravis-spv.fr/

Offline antpro

• Members
    • glass
    • scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:45 AM »
This is the best picture I can get - Adam

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
corrections to above posting... which can be deleted. Mod: done for you Frank

Thanks... that matches Hartmann. Other marks in Hartmann are LBC LBH and LDB, all from a 1930 Annuaire.

Snippets for reference re original Societe Parisienne de Verrreries:

Glassworks Address 112 Boulevard Auguste Blanqui, 13e Paris (in 1917 [letter, which shows a large factory] and 1925 ref: Hartmann)
1907 Annuaire lists Company name: "L de Beaune" at Verrerie at this address - but lists it as glass merchant. Hartmann gives L de Beaune as having a refinery (finisher) at this address but also states it operate 2 glassworks c1910 from a Paris directory entry. Label has Verrerie LDB Paris

n.b. Boulevard d'Italie renamed in 1905 to above

Pierre Curie was employed as a technical adviser on optics in 1895 which may relate to patent nr 210028 for a machine to shape optical glass.
1896 another patent 246029 similar to first. Similar in 1893 too.

Perfume and Pharmacy bottles 1917.  Possibly not a manufacturer.
Still existing 1930, 1939
Site redeveloped 1986.

Gravis who own the name/company today make no mention of SPV in their history but they were obviously in competition when they started circa 1920

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
Nice Vase!  Here's a site I found.  The pattern is the same and It certainly does look like the letter F and T to me on the base of this vase.  There appears to be some other letters, but can't make them out on the picture.    There is no harm in sending them an email, if further info. is required.

http://www.tablemanners.nl/12042109.htm

I just can't understand, why make such a quality vase as this and then we have to struggle to make out the letters.  It's just  beyond me, especially also when considering the value of some of these vases   ::).

I think Frank has provided you with a lot of information, obviously knowledgeable on the subject matter. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:12:35 AM »
I just can't understand, why make such a quality vase as this and then we have to struggle to make out the letters.  It's just  beyond me, especially also when considering the value of some of these vases

The marks weren't there for collectors; the original buyers didn't necessarily care who made them and if they did they would know what the mark was. They were just a permanent label and probably for export reasons, as the marking includes where it was made

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Frosted Vase Marked France and with a F = Espaivet
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »
No just intrigued at the number of this style by under-documented French businesses. I wonder if some including these were simply factored by a French company and made in Bohemian region.

Going back to 1892 I found L de Beaune & Hugrel who were also doing laboratory glass and had a depot address in rue de Verrerie, Paris. Their manufactory being in dept 76 Seine-Inferieure (Seine Maritime since 1955). Their were about a dozen candidate glassworks in Seine-Inferieure, with a G Denolly, Verreries de Grande-Vallee, offering exactly the same specialities and wording as SPV. SPV perhaps started up between 1892 and 1895. Was the Paris operation a factory or not though. It would appear that they were essential bottle and lab glass makers and obviously machinery for optical glass... but no trace anywhere of them dabbling in decorative glass other than the glass itself.

Steven, were their also pieces of this style of glass attributed to a Delahaye? It seems to ring a bell but maybe a wrong one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand