No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Walsh/Powell/Stuart vase?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Possible Walsh/Powell/Stuart vase?
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »
Gone through my books,can't find a match in any,hence the dodgy title ::),large polished pontil mark,8 inches high,hepl please ;D ;D

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Possible Walsh/Powell/Stuart vase?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Just seen one with a similar pattern on ebay,listed as Walsh,could it be? ::)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
Keith — I looked at your vase soon after you posted, and thought, no, it's not a floral pattern I recognise.    Then I thought about it some more, and realised that your vase was considerably stretched, and twisted at the top.   There was nothing I could do about the twisting from the single side view, but I could squash it.    So I dropped it into IrfanView and squashed it.   See the outcome below.    ;D

About an hour ago I found a Walsh mother of pearl example, and tried to match it to your squashed image.   Similar, but not the same.   I then realised that your vase might have a completely new base, i.e. the bottom part of the full pattern might have been removed with the pucellas in the process of forming the bulbous base, which would also explain the twisting at the top of the vase.   Success at last.   Your floral pattern matches the top two thirds of mine, with a small part of the pattern at the top missing as well.

I can't see any hints of a thin inner layer of opal glass, nor can I see any iridescence.   If so, it is Walsh canary opalescent.   Dating is a little tricky — I suggest late Victorian to early C20.

Interesting piece, Keith.

Bernard C.  8)

ps — note that I have not kept any copies of your image file on my PC, normal or squashed.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
Fantastic imagination and imagery Bernard  ;D
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Many thanks for your time and effort Bernard  ;D as you say no iridescence or opal layer,I'm quite welcome for any one to use my pictures for reference etc... again thanks,another piece to my growing collection,piece number 13 I think,not at all unlucky ;D ;D

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
Well thought out Bernard ;) :D Nice one ;D

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:59:54 PM »
Interestingly however, there is a vase in Das Bohmische Glas 1700-1950 that I believe has this pattern on it   :-\ and is identified as Graflich Harrachsche Glashutte, Neuwelt - the shape of the one in the book dates to 1896-1897, the  product no is 1686/2 but the   Dekor is from 1900 and called Floret.
height 20.5cm
did Walsh and Harrah and for that matter other makers of these (American?) use the same patterns perhaps?
could someone who has the book please check my reference?  thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
I've looked again in the book and I do think the pattern matches. 
But I was just about to ask Keith to take another photo against a black background as the one in the book looks 'different', more ethereal, I thought because of the lighting.  However, having another look at the description it appears (to me at least) that it is the same pattern but outlined in gold which is why it looks slightly more ethereal. 

Having searched again I found this example on my link below - however it is not the same pattern as far as I can see as, as either Keith's vase or the one in the book (at least the part of the pattern that can be seen on Keith's vase and in the book) but is outlined in gilt and has been id'd as Harrach Blumenfloret.  The one in the book is id'd just as Harrach 'Floret'.  I'm not sure whether there is a distinction between the two names for different patterns ? or what ?
This vase I'm linking to has been identified as Harrach Blumenfloret and I'm linking just to show the gilding effect which I think is the same as on the one in the book - the patterns are different though.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/72302-vaseline-opalescent-vase-in-brass-stand

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
I shall have to get that book,ah well just as I thought it was id'd ,you couldn't email me a picture from your book please m? ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
yes I can do of course.
Bernard, Nigel, if you don't have the book shall I email a picture to you as well, as I could be wrong and would very much like an opinion on this, as there seems to be so many vases being attributed to or identified as Harrach recently, that have had other id's or attributions before.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand