No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald Vase, Gold decor handpainted, enameled flowers  (Read 514 times)

Offline ginfor

• Members
    • http://www.ginforsodditiques.com
Emerald Vase, Gold decor handpainted, enameled flowers
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
Okay, I'm sure this type has been asked about, and I've seen numerous attributions for Italian or Bohemian companies, but does anyone have solid information about this vase?  Most of what I see is fairly small, "tourist" type, but this one is by far the largest I've seen.  Selling it for a friend, so I need all the info I can gather.  Thanks.
Forrest
http://ginforsodditiques.com/emerald.mug.jpg

(Having trouble getting this to post, so I apologize if it shows up more than once.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Emerald Vase, Gold decor handpainted, enameled flowers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
Hi Forrest welcome back. The size for this Bohemian vase is not exceptional. It is quite standard decoration usually called ' high rise enamel and gold' or in Italian - where the technique originated - ' Terzo fuoco' because it had to be fired three times.
I think the most likely producer is Egermann in Novy Bor - but be aware the are many producers of this type of ware. Timewise I think you ae looking at the turn of the century - i.e. quite recent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ginfor

• Members
    • http://www.ginforsodditiques.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
Ivo,

Thanks.  I know wear patterns aren't conclusive, but I would think it goes back maybe to the 1970s.....assuming they were being produced then.  I've always thought these were made over a long period (maybe still being made).

The size may not be exceptional in Europe, but I think it is in the US.  Not sure if these were ever exported directly to the US, or if what shows up here is only what people bring back from visits.  That last possibility would significantly affect the sizes that show up here.  Any suggestions for keywords if I put it on eBay?

Forrest

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »
Bohemia enamel gold

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
My mother had a very similar thing, smaller and in blue, which was a touristy thing she bought in Venice in the early '70s.
The enamelling was a lot thicker - standing proud from the body.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand