No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano glass ID  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Shawna

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Learn about glassware
    • United States of America
Murano glass ID
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
I have a small ruby colored glass tumbler that has a 24K gold border at the top and gold drizzles all around the exterior of the glass that are raised above the glass.  It has been passed down from my great grandmother and my mother told me it was Ancient Murano and was priceless.  I am trying to find out what type of glass it truly is and if her statement is even some what true.  Does anyone have any knowledge of a glass like this?  I can post pictures if needed.

Thank you!

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: Murano glass ID
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
Hi Shawna, you'll definitely need pictures for somebody to be able to assist.  Try to keep your pictures to the size allowed ) max. size 125 KB per image) .  I'm sure somebody on the site will have the knowledge to help identify the glass.

Offline Shawna

• Members
    • Learn about glassware
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Thank you Neil,  I will post pictures next week as soon as I can get them.  The glass is locked in a safe at my brothers house!

Offline Shawna

• Members
    • Learn about glassware
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
here is a picture

Offline Shawna

• Members
    • Learn about glassware
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
here is another view of the glass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »
It does not ring a bell immediately as it is a rather simple tumbler in terzo fuoco technique - aka high rise enamel and gold. The time frame would probably be 1870s tnru 1910_ish. It could br Venetian - but doesn' t have to be.

I have seen similat things at Lobmeyr  Austria and at Dorotheenhuette in Germany .  In the lattr case it was a tea service for some moroccan despot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand