No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Figurine/Sculpture I.D Request  (Read 762 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Figurine/Sculpture I.D Request
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Hi,  A Friend brought me this Glass figurine yesterday, knowing that I do collect  Glass.  Not something I would of considered purchasing, however,  I have to take into consideration the thought.   This figurine has striking features to a previous post which I am currently trying to look up.  Having carried out some research I am drawn towards this as being either a Fratelli or Barovier Toso piece.  I could be totally off track, as it is a bit early in my research.   The base stand is very similar to the Murano pieces I've seen.   It could do with a good clean though.  A bit hesitant in doing that just yet, as I am a bit clumsy when cleaning and have broken a few expensive and none expensive  pieces of glass in the past.   The figurine stands approx.  30.8cm in height.  The concave base dia. 9.6cm.  I have been  informed that this figurine would have come with a partner.   Any help in identifying this, is appreciated!  I've managed to find a site, however there is limited amount of information.  The figurine in this site bares similarities but looks more modern, then again, I could be wrong about that too.

http://www.belleile.cz/index.php?predmet=3059

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Figurine/Sculpture I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:17 PM »
Could be Blackpool (UK) but not as likely as Murano as you are in US.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »
Hi,  I've managed to find one of my old post.  ::)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30997.msg167982.html#msg167982

As you can see, the base on this figurine looks very similar to this, however, this is not to say it is.  Now that you have mentioned Blackpool........................ has led me to the Venetian  Glass Co., based in Blackpool.  It is of my understanding that Venetian Maestro Franco Giancarlo Toffol had worked their for a period of time and trained other workers after the 1950's.  I am not sure what year this would of been.  I bet you would know Frank?  I do know that he worked in Scotland during the 1980's.    A lot of his work was commissioned based.  Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  It has only been the information gathered based upon your reply. I have tried looking at other companies as a possibility, but at the moment to know avail.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »
I think that Otis is in the UK not the US, Frank
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
Thanx Ann,  I forgot to mention that.  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
Franco Toffolo    b. 1934     Italian Maestro Glassmaker. Venini 1946-50. Left Italy c1965. Venetian Glass Company, Blackpool (UK) c1960-1980. Master glassmaker at Caithness glass until retiring to Crieff in 2002 some paperweights with initial cane FT. Then collaborating with John Deacons and producing occasional Ysart style glassware in John Deacons’ studio. Now retired. Was making figures since 2000 but ones of those that I have seen were much wilder colourwise than earlier ones.

He was in Blackpool a long time so must have made many.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »
A wealth of information, that does not surprise me.  Thank you, ever so much!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand