No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl with gilded & silvered insects,applied fish feet,ruby glass eyes  (Read 10570 times)

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Re: Bowl with gilded & silvered insects,applied fish feet,ruby glass eyes
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »
I would pretty much write off any information in the Manley book. it's really really not accurate. Some things are correct many more things aren't. It's a mine field.

I would go with either Webb or Harrach for these. There is strong evidence for both of those companies.

and again you really can't identify glass based on style of decoration alone. it's very unreliable.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
It's utterly fabulous and glorious and gorgeous!
Have you asked for a rebate, based on the inaccurate description and not-exactly-honestly representative images?
You should make it clear that you (and by inference, everybody else) would not have bid so high if the true nature of the damage had been honestly described.
I really dislike this sort of sneakiness in a seller. You may not get too far, given it seems dishonesty is already present.  :'(
But it's worth giving it a go.  >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
 thanks Sue :)
I bought it quite a few months ago now and did send an email to the seller telling them I was less than pleased with the severity of the damage.
Azelismia, I don't have Manley's book so I can't comment.  Whilst I know there have been misattributions come to light regarding information in the book, I think it has to be balanced with the fact the book was written so many years ago. The internet has become much more widely accessible and information that was never previously known about has come to light in the meantime.  I'm sure there are many things that are correct in the book as well, so it's probably one that should be on my shelf really, although it's always wise to double check information anyway unless it comes from an identified and referenced pattern.

Thanks for your thoughts on Webb or Harrach.  What is the evidence for these companies? 
The one at the Dudley Museum website is id'd as Richardson so I will try and look further into that source as well as Steven's reference of Walsh Walsh.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Sorry, I phrased that badly :)
I meant to ask if you have a reference for those please?
thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
I happened upon this lovely piece of glass today, identified as a 'Thomas Webb animal ewer'.  It's the third item down if you scroll down -
http://www.edgeconservation-restoration.com/File/category.asp?id=6

What struck me was the red enamel around the mouth and on the claws on it's feet, very similar to the enamel around the mouths of each of the fish on my bowl.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
That's a bit weird,would be surprised if it was Webbs, ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
that's what I thought, but do you have British Glass 1800-1914 Charles Hajdamach?
Have a look on page 321, 4th from left, jug with applied lizard handle  :o Also page 435 small drawing Webb's design number 11895 dated 1879.

Another shock was the design drawing on page 435 design 25929 dated 1901- I've been looking at these recently and that is so close to a piece designed by Carder for Steuben iirc.  I've not double checked yet but the similarity is remarkable.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
and adding to my post directly above this, I've now just had a moment and looked at that jug under a magnifying glass - the applied lizard handle id'd as Webb, is enamelled in a similar vein to the lamp I linked to above and guess what? it has an enamelled madder red around it's mouth and it's eyes are white with red glass ruby thingy's in like my fish!  :o  maybe my fish is Thomas Webb?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
according to the book the painted and gilded decoration is by Jules Barbe.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
Just doing some more investigating on the enamel decoration on those two pieces and my butterflies to see if there can be any matches, so I'm going to add as I find :)
I've added some close ups of the detail of the fish- enamelling can look awful when photographed so closely - I would say the quality of the enamelling on my bowl is outstanding.  The fish have sponged gilt on them as well as the white eyes with ruby centres and the enamelled mouths.

http://www.lauderandhoward.com.au/shop/view/a_thomas_webb_vase/157
this is id'd as a Thomas Webb vase with an rd number.  If you click on the close ups it has coloured dot enamel decoration.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand