No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moulded slab w/ 'GS' monogram / logo - possibly Swedish  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Moulded slab w/ 'GS' monogram / logo - possibly Swedish
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
Large (32cm tall) smoke-coloured slab with impressed logo of the letters 'GS' wearing a hat. There are two dots joined to the hat with two lines - not sure if they're the trema of an umlaut... or a pair of cherries.

???

Unsure whether its use was intended to be architectural, some kind of shop display, a production sample, or something to sit on the sideboard.

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: Moulded slab w/ 'GS' monogram / logo - possibly Swedish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Hi, I think the GS refers to the current King and Queen of Sweden - Gustaf and Sybella under a representation of the Swedish crown.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »
Thanks for taking a look.

I'm not sure - the official monogram for Gustaf and Silvia looks quite different: http://www.kungahuset.se/hovstaterna/kungligastiftelser/kungaparetsbrollopsfond.4.1dd8664104bee0ce6e80001198.html

And the hat is more Stetson than crown, I think.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
On taking a better look you are right.  I only took a cursory glance and it reminded me of an armorial glass I had with the Swedish crown and initials. hence my comment.  Sorry for the bad steer!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
A stab in the dark is better than nothing at all, and I had a distracting half-hour reading about the Swedish royal household during my searches.

:)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
Have established that it is by Lindshammar... probably a custom job. Bought a couple of other pieces with different monograms and designs.

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
    • https://www.etsy.com/shop/MidcenturyKCDesign
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons,

The GS slab could be a designer monogram for Gösta Sigvard.  He worked for Lindshammar Glasbruk between 1968 and 1980.  The two dots (umlaut) are possibly for the o (ö).  I can’t explain the hat, can’t find any pictures or clear information of him.  I see a lot of tableware and a few signed vases and bowls of his hand.
The slabs are very thick, maybe the other ones are also designer monograms. I'm not familiar with Lindshammar designers, but in that case they could have been used for expositions or presentations of their artwork, maybe they’r one of a kind  ?? 
It’s only a guess hopefully it will help.
I was searching for my signed GS Lindshammar bowl and saw this old post.
Grtz  Kees

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:05:55 AM »
This is going back a bit!

I eventually worked out that they were architectural pieces used in dalle-de-verre windows - thick glass slabs suspended in a concrete matrix - popular in the 1960s/70s. So the monogram designs are probably custom jobs that somehow ended up in a glass warehouse in the middle of Copenhagen. We had 10 of the orange 'D' slabs (the last photo), so perhaps they were standard production - along with the other 25 letters of the alphabet we never saw.

The slab with the star-ish design in the second pair of photographs, with two drilled holes, was designed to be a door-pull (sadly sans fittings), and was a standard design retailed under one of Lindshammar's several architectural trade names... 'Glassic', if I recall correctly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand