No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anybody recognise the bark texturing on this vase?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Does anybody recognise the bark texturing on this vase?
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
Hi, a very nice 8 inch high vase in what Whitefriars would call pewter or Wedgwood would call smoke i.e. it's grey.   I can't work out who made it but am inclined to Ingrid Glass of Germany.  Having said that their bark texturing has always seemed of larger grain.  Can anybody with a better knowledge of these things let me know if they recognise the texturing?  The vase appears to have been made in a four part mould but it's difficult to see properly with all the texturing.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Does anybody recognise the bark texturing on this vase?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
Neil - had you tried looking here, it might possibly help..............http://whitefriarsglasswannabees.blogspot.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Paul thanks for directing to my blog, but unfortunately although there is a photo of one of these, I have not yet had so far a definitive attribution for this vase.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
Emmi  -  going on memory only I had a vague thought Neil's vase might have been the Ravenhead wannabee  -  I was wrong, obviously.         Thanks for looking in...........we don't hear enough from you these days...........had you ever thought of collecting glass, again ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi Paul, thanks for the url, and to Emmi for commenting.  Nice site!  I'll definitely use it when I'm tempted to call something Whitefriars.  If Whitefriars made as many pieces of glass as are sold under that name on ebay then they would never have gone out of business.

I'll keep looking for the maker and report back if I find anything.  It appears well made and although the construction is not so different from the smaller Ravenhead vases that come up regularly, it appears to be of a different texture, and has a weight and quality about it that suggests it might be worth pursuing.

Neil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand