No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made this one?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Who made this one?
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
This ended on ebay at the weekend, I did try a bid but stopped when it climbed over the £100 as I could not work out the maker. Can anyone enlighten me?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400339351489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Many thanks
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Who made this one?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
Hi Nick

It is a St Mandé.  The canes seem to be set very high in the dome, even for them!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
Thanks Alan.
I had wondered if it might be St Mande or Grenelle but was guessing as I have very little in the way of references for either, but couldn't match the canes as being Baccarat, St Louis or Clichy.

Yes the canes do seem high. Was this a fair price paid? Do they make much more than this?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Hi Nick

I think that the price of St Mandé paperweights varies with the quality and the design, much as it does with Clichy and other makers. The simple miniatures are typically in the £100 to £150 range, whereas I have seen a couple of really nice large examples go for over £400. So I think the price on this one was not unusual.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand