No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Amber basket with blue handle  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Victorian Amber basket with blue handle
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help me identify the maker of this pretty basket? The handle is a lovely shade of blue and it stands on 3 paw like feet. The pattern is of vines an grapes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian Amber basket with blue handle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
this combination of blue and brown appears to be rare - and as you'd imagine these duotone pieces need to be pressed separately and then fused together  -  apparently pieces are known where the colours are reversed for the same design.         The only example I can see in the books is in one of Miller's offerings where they're described as 'novelty fusions'.       Unfortunately, this material seems to be of uncertain origin, although German moulds and possibly Belgian or French glass is suggested, with a date of something like the very late C19.
Of course, yours may be nothing to do with the period examples, and may be simply a modern piece of coloured glass, but thought I'd mention this just in case.      Are there any indications of age?

Ref. Miller's Popular Glass of the 19th and 20th Centuries  - A Collectors Guide.        Raymond Notley  2000.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
Thanks for that information that is interesting. I can't really say about its age, its is in very good condition not much wear, but apart from putting it in a glass cabinet I don't suppose it had much use. Unlike vases and bowls which had lots of use over the years.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:12:19 AM »
possibly the majority of coloured pressed glass was for ornamental purposes - if nothing else the Victorians loved ornaments, and it may well have spent its life in a cabinet as you suggest.        The fact that yours shows very little wear, doesn't imply it's not period  -  I'd imagine it was the clear material that was made for using.       For whatever reason, very little of this two coloured pressed glass seems to be around:)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
My guess would be Victorian. The handled is not pressed, though it is moulded. I would look for the bowl without the handle. Bottle brown rather than amber is pretty unusual too. I would also say it was for grapes.

possibly the majority of coloured pressed glass was for ornamental purposes
I dispute that, much is functional. Pressed glass was mainly for the masses because it was relatively cheap but I suspect much of it was kept for best.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
I would also think Victorian as well .
I have no idea as to the maker but do have a similar pair boxed in the loft. I have just dug one out and it looks very likely to be made by the same maker.

Roy

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
Wow yes....that is very similar.The only other items I have seen with this blue and amber combination are tankards or jugs and they appeared to be blown glass.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
thank goodness I said 'possibly' ;)  -  I'm sure you all know vastly more than me when it comes to pressed/moulded glass.      It's true that the Victorians were very keen on ornamental bowls/comports/fancy handled baskets etc., so it's very reasonable to assume that the design of this piece may well have originated in the C19 - even though production may well have been continued into the C20.
It's intriguing that despite the interest in pressed glass, that a maker for these things seems not to have been found  -  what we need is an example with a Rd. No.      I wonder if there are colours other than blue and brown?     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand