Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Folembray thingy: trivet? battery rest? jar lid??  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Re: Folembray thingy: trivet? battery rest? jar lid??
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:57 PM »
In first reply to Ian.

Trademark Savor seemed to belong to a Jam or jam-jar supplier E. Hebert of Paris.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
Oh and their advertising shows normal Kilner type jars so perhaps this is just an advertising tray. Here is a postcard on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPAREILS-ET-BOCAUX-SAVOR-8-RUE-TURBIGO-PARIS-eTABLISSEMENTS-SIDNEY-HEBERT-/271076551413?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Cartes_postales&hash=item3f1d6beaf5

Unfortunately most jars are offered in lots described in a truly useful gallic fashion loosely translated.... "Old Jars, various sizes, marked or not."
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Commercial Czech

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Trademark for jam is still in use but by a company that has not been around long and for a brand of jam. Unfortunately the French database does not give expired trademarks...
Frank A.
Commercial Czech

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Still on a foodie theme, I have an unfortunate tendency to assume all flat round glass thingies like this are those doofers for stopping the milk boiling over.
I don't think this is one of those. 
I would not trust jam labelled "savor".   8)
Cheers, Sue (M)

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
Yeah, company does not seem to use the name in current product range... But they do do a milk jam...yeeeuuchhh
Frank A.
Commercial Czech

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:22 PM »
The Folembray site does not include it with insulators but on it's own as a trademark... but seemingly not of the glassworks who also did disks with their tm/names etc.

Seemingly not of the same glassworks?  Why?  It has a pretty typical Folembray green color, and it looks like their typical good quality work.  Color formula would be easy enough to specify to a glasshouse I suppose, so that's no proof.   ???

I like the bottom-of-the-pot anti-boiling thng idea.  But in the end, it looks like it would serve as a battery rest, too.  Folembray certainly made a wide variety of electrical glass.  I have a beautiful little glass cleat from them, taken from the factory walls itself I was told (i.e. it was in use once).  Love that green.

--ian

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
Same glassworks but Savor was a client's trade mark, not the glassworks. Wrong shape for the bottom thingy and much to big.
Frank A.
Commercial Czech

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
Could be something really boring like a spoon rest.   I'm definitely stuck on kitchen.  Unless the glass is borosilicate, it would probably not be a trivet.

Yes, SAVOR is spelled wrong, but very possibly SAVOUR was already taken.  I need a set of Babson Bros. Kwik Klips, what horrid spelling, (Kozy Korner!), but likely Quick Clips was already taken; you see those deliberate misspellings all the time, forming new trademarks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »
and then folk who don't pay attention in the classroom, but who do read advertising, start using the ghastly spellings in daily life. Drives me potty.
Cheers, Sue (M)

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Gladly admit Ian's item is not part of a weapon  :-*

Frank, this one is clearly marked Ankerglas Bernsdorf

Pamela
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de

Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding of worldly things moves his soul.    (Alfred Lichtwark 1852 1914)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand