No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: antique diamond cut glass handled mug  (Read 1317 times)

Offline MANDI

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • England
antique diamond cut glass handled mug
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
This is a very heavy glass cup/mug measuring 3 1/2" high and 2 3/4" across rim. I weighs 448g.
Sharp diamond cut squares and twisted handle. Polished pontil base.
I presume it is English glass?  Also is it a cup or a mug? The rim is thick and despite nibbles around the rim it rings beautifully. Does anyone know the maker please and the age?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: antique diamond cut glass handled mug
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
In view of size, I'd have suggested a handled mug rather than a tankard, handled cup, or can - however, I doubt very much that you'll find a maker unfortunately.        It's a good piece, and the ring of which you speak suggest a good quality lead glass, which combined with the shape of the handle, and the wear you mention, suggests manufacture perhaps somewhere around the 1820 - 50 period.         Not necessarily British, only possibly  - the diamonds might be chequered diamonds, but not certain.
Other points to look for re period might be small specks of black or white dirt/stones in the glass, and the colour of the glass should be a slightly grey colour compared to modern cut glass.      Sorry not really of much help - let's hope someone else can add more useful information. :)   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand