Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Cut Crystal Figural Cruet Set  (Read 258 times)

Offline web44ca

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • antique figural glass
    • canada
Cut Crystal Figural Cruet Set
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
This cut crystal fish cruet set is a complete mystery in terms of origin & age ... on-line research has not revealed any information ... any info. / comments that may ID. this glass will be much appreciated.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Re: Cut Crystal Figural Cruet Set
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I love your fish cruet, it's fabulous! I don't know how we'll get on with finding a maker, it reminds me somewhat of my two mystery (salt?) boats in an earlier topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5269.0.html Let's see what others think. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
very unusual  -  I have trawled (forgive the pun) various sites selling cruet sets, but have seen nothing like this, so am assuming quite rare.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
What are salt and pepper tops made of? Pic? Also pics of bases, stoppers and fish eyes....
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I saw a vaguely similar beast in Amsterdam at the weekend - but it was a whole ship kitted out with bottles and salts and mustards.... a good bit bigger than this. I'd never seen one before.
Now I can't remember if it was in a shop, or at the massive posh antiques fair we went to (the sort where there are added 00s at the end of normal prices - and you have to ask the prices of things, they're not displayed. The sort of "do" you go to people watch, because the uber-rich are a truly peculiar lot and quite frankly, they're more interesting than most of the stuff).
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
quote........."and you have to ask the prices of things, they're not displayed".............well, you know what they say  -  if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Paul, I do know the normal prices of some things... and I could see that 00s had been added. Those uber-rich just don't know they're being taken to the cleaners. They seem to place the value of what they pay onto a bit of tat, not what it should be.
If it's expensive, it must be good! They're just clueless.
For example, there was a fairly straightforward looking, slightly lumpy rectangular vase - thick, with a misty sort of blue centre. Nothing particularly stunning. It did have Per Lutken's pawmark on it, but I ain't paying £1500 for a boring, waterstained, scratched lump like that, even with a pawmark. (it was one of the rather cheap things there)
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
suppose you could argue that it's a good thing that clueless people part with their shekels - re-distribution of wealth etc.    I see the down side of being super rich more in terms of there being nothing to get the adrenalin going - no heart stopping excitement for something you discover because of knowledge - you know there's nothing you can't afford.      I never saw Getty looking excited and happy.       But then again, I'd know how to handle wealth ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »
They don't part with nearly enough of their shekels - if folk want the economy to improve, then the money needs to be circulating. Trillions shored up in tax havens abroad ain't circulating.
The so-called "trickle-down" theory beloved of the wealthy does not hold water.
For every $100 that disappears up, only $4 trickles down.

But yes, I agree completely. How on earth do they ever manage to have fun or excitement?
Cheers, Sue (M)

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com