No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark  (Read 8251 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
I've found another that has non-iridescent handles - I know it's not the same decor as my vase, but I just need to add them here for reference so I don't forget or lose the links :)
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11548453_loetz-olympia-art-glass-vase
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Probably Bohemian, but I would say definitely not Loetz Candia Silberiris. Silberiris was a process resulting in a generally opaque surface decor. I am attaching images of a couple of examples of Candia Silberiris.  The Candia, refers to the ground color, so it is possible for Candia Silberiris to be slightly different colors depending on the surface treatment.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
thank you Craig :)
I was just about to post that I still was concerned about the decor on my vase as it is too see-through.  Lovely examples you've posted - very envious.
Could it be Loetz at all?  or is that unlikely with the surface finish do you know please?
]Edited - I've just reread your post and I assume from the wording it's not Loetz  :) - sorry.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »
Hi M, Don't be envious, as they are images I have been provided for the website..... or be envious, but of the people that own them, not me....  :-)

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
No, I'm not envious really  - envy is never a good thing  :)  they are lovely though.

Ok, I've been doing some searching and the iridescent finish on my vase seems to me to be the same as the finish on quite a few Fritz Heckert vases I've come across. 
There is a Fritz Heckert enamelled vase here that looks similar to Christine's Loetz Olympia gourd shaped vases and the finish on the surface and the transparency and iridescence seems very similar to my vase.  It is not the same finish as the finish on my Loetz Olympia vases - did they come with different effects on the surface finish?   I've looked at a few others as well also Fritz Heckert and found some with that surface finish.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohemianglassandmore/5267135379/in/pool-1537970@N25%7Cbohemianglassandmore
If you click on the picture it enlarges well enough to see the crackly finish.

And here is a blue one that appears to have the same finish?
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61231908.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectID=1307964

Any thoughts much appreciated :)
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
I would say that is a Loetz Olympia base decorated by Heckert. Mine have the slightly crackled finish.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »
thanks :) as a matter of interest is yours completely smooth to touch? as though it might slip through your fingers like a piece of fine silk?
I've just got one of my vases out and even with the camera I cannot get a crackly finish on it.  It is so incredibly smooth to look at and to touch it has no texture at all.  I presume just a different surface finish,perhaps different time periods or something? 

I'm just interested because the finish on my small vase is quite remarkably similar to many of the iridescent enamelled vases from Fritz Heckert.

Here is another  where you can get a close up of the finish -
http://www.thegildedcurio.com/images-large/120-b.JPG

I've uploaded a picture of a very close close up of my Olympia.  It's not as transparent as your vases and  even trying with  different lighting techniques I can't make it look crackled.  I guess this is just variations in technique of making.

I've noticed also that quite a few of the Fritz Heckert vases I've seen have this shallow rounded little foot.

http://www.thegildedcurio.com/images-large/81-a.jpg

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
I don't think yours is Olympia; the colour, the iridescence and the rim finish all look wrong

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
Hi Christine
It was confirmed as Olympia and it also is a well documented Loetz shape.  I'll find a ref for it on here in a mo.
I have had one other also a Loetz shape, in the same finish/colour exactly, that I sold, and I have yet another large vase here that is also Loetz Olympia but doesn't have that crackle finish iirc...I'm going to dig it out in a minute but I'm fairly sure it doesn't.  That one is uranium glass whereas this one isn't and they are different to each other, ref the colours and iridescent highlights too .
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45711.msg255842.html#msg255842
here is the link to it on the board here. 
And re my comment on that thread, I now believe that not all Olympia is uranium glass, as far as I recall from what I have read.
With reference the rim, they are mould blown and have a cut bevelled and polished rim.  Loetz vases do have cut polished rims as well as firepolished rims.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand