No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark  (Read 8136 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
Craig thank you :)  I have to say I'm finding it very difficult to work out what's what if the ebay listing is also correct for that shape  - this is very confusing (well it is to me  ;D ) as I can see definite shape differences between the vase on Collectors Weekly production no 7502 and  Christine's vase, not just in the turned out rim finish but also in the actual shape of the body of the vase - they don't look like the same form to me at all  :-\ 

This is another I found, again the same shape but clear/paler glass attributed to FH - is it likely Loetz did this clear iridescent finish please? and apologies, I feel like a dog with a bone lol, and it will probably turn out that my vase is not even FH anyway, so I'm sorry for keep going on about it  :)
http://www.denieuwekunst.nl/public/detail.asp?screen=large&oid=263&cid=2

The only thing I am sure of is that the finish on my little vase appears to be the same (when comparing photos) as the surface iridescent finish on the Fritz Heckert vases I've looked at.  Of course that doesn't mean mine is FH, but at least I can investigate that further  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
I found this vase on one of the Bohemian Glass sites called 'Loetz and Bohemian Glass',  and it is under the section 'unidentified makers or other makers' - this one is unidentified.
It is the same shape as Christine's gourd shaped vases,  but dark blue with a thick gilded decorative pattern.
(see first link - right hand side scroll down to the eighth vase in the right hand column until you come to the dark blue gourd with gilded bands pattern)
I then found a vase in a different shape, but in the same iridescent dark blue with what I believe is  the same gilded pattern on The Gilded Curio site, that has the vase identified as Fritz Heckert
(see second link)

I'm sorry to keep going on about this....and so far I've not managed to find the same vase shape as my own one yet  however another vase on The Gilded Curio site appears to be the same colour and iridescent surface treatment on the blank and is also id'd as Fritz Heckert.
(see third link)

https://sites.google.com/site/loetzglass/otherunidentified

http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-83.html

http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-67.html

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
Here is another shape of the blue iridescent same decor range (same as the gourd vase linked to above), same enamel design  attributed by Botterweg in 2007 to Fritz Heckert.
http://www.botterweg.com/Auction/Bid/tabid/59/auctionid/5/tag/Duitsland/lotid/812/language/en-US/Default.aspx

And on this site there is a vase that has some similarities with mine: vaguely in the shape of the tall neck; and also the handles; and the way the iridescent surface is done.
http://www.littletoncollection.com/Glass%20Page/e157%20Heckert%20Poppy%20flask.jpg

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »
bingo ...I think - if someone could double check for me please. 

According to Pressglas Korrespondenz May 2012-2 
Abb. 2012-2/05-14
Kunst-Glas-Industrie Fritz Heckert, Petersdorf im Riesengebirge, Briefkopf o.J.
aus Żelasko, Fritz Heckert, Kunstglas Industrie 1866-1923, Glasmuseum Passau 2012, Einband Rückseite (Ausschnitt)

on page 18 there is a gourd vase that I believe is the same shape as Christine's.  It is enamelled but appears to be the same shape, colour and iridescent finish on the blank.

According to the information given on that vase it is
"Kat.Nr. 251. Vase
Formentwurf Ludwig Sütterlin, 1900
Dekor-Entwurf Willi Meitzen
am Boden in weiß sign. FH 501/8 I
H 16 cm"

Translates as the  mould design was by Ludwig Sutterlin for Fritz Heckert, and in the case of that particular piece with the enamel decoration as well, the enamelling was by Willi Meitzen.  That one is signed on the base in white FH501/8I.

The description below that reads

"Goldcypern“, hellgrünes, goldirisiertes Uran-Glas, formgeblasen, geschliffen. Auf der Wandung braun und grün konturierter
Blütendekor in bunter opaker Email- und Goldmalerei. "
Translates as "Goldcypern, light green,  gold iridescent uranium glass, blow moulded, sanded." and then a description of the enamel decor.

I guess those are the colours it came in - possibly there  should be a comma between 'goldirisiertes' and ' Uran-Glas', so therefore it would read as two colours not one, with one being 'gold iridescent' the next being Uranium-Glas ? plus the previous two of Goldcypern and Light Green.

I can send a link to the reference source if necessary.

I'm convinced my little vase is also by Heckert in 'gold iridescent', but just need to find an exact shape match now. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
Just a correction on the colour I wrote above
the translation is
'"Goldcypern", light green, gold iridescent uranium glass' - I think the decor is "Goldcypern" and the rest is a description of that rather than individual colours.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
just adding a cross reference here

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28526.msg288367.html#msg288367

This is a request I've put on another thread regarding a vase I found on Collectors Weekly, that has the same surface iridescent finish as mine but is a pale clearish glass, and is  marked acid etched stamp 'GLASFABRIK KARLSBAD' - it has been id'd there as Moser.

I have a question. 
Am I reading this right that this hasn't been definitely confirmed as Moser?

I'm trying to identify an iridescent cabinet vase that where the surface iridescence appears to be identical to Fritz Heckert iridescent vases.  Mine is not enamelled just plain.  In the course of my searches I came across this vase (see link)  on Collectors Weekly identified as Moser.  It has a very similar iridescent surface finish to mine, hence my interest. 
I found it difficult to read the mark but it looks like it could read 'GLASFABRIK KARLSBAD'  (please correct me if I'm wrong).  Is this an identified mark for Moser please?
I'm just wondering where the blank vase on the Collector's Weekly site originated if so - I'm wondering if the enamelling is Moser but the blank not?
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/64363-moser-egyptian-vase

Many thanks
m

Edited later to add, I've enlarged the mark and found a confirmed stamp mark from the Great Glass site that it is Moser and edited my request on the other thread to ask if the blank is Moser as well as the enamelling.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
just a little correction: Geschliffen is cut, not sanded.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
thank you so much Ivo :)
Google translate is quite difficult to follow and I was struggling to understand what 'sanded' might mean  :)
I wonder to what that refers?  is it cut rims? or cut body of the glass?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »
Christine and I were having a discussion earlier today about the iridescent ranges of glass produced by both Josephinenhutte and Fritz Heckert.
I thought I would add here what it I understand it says in the PK article regarding the ranges of both Glasshouses just for future reference:

As I understood it:

- Josephinenhutte were producing iridescent glass before FH and produced one range 'Gelb-Cypern' (Yellow Cyprus) in 1887, then  'Opal-Cypern' in 1890 and 'Bronze-Cypern' in 1897 (Fritz Heckert got their furnace in 1889)

-It goes on to say that at this time FH Petersdorfer employed more workers than JH and were huge and started producing huge quantities of glass and flooded the market. It says they produced an iridescent range called 'Cypern-glas' (very confusingly). I cannot find a date for when this range started being produced at FH but it does say I think, that 'Otto Tham started in 1895 with this iridescent glass'.  I think it's possibly the start date for Fritz Heckert producing their range of 'Cypern-glas'?

I lean towards my vase being produced at Fritz Heckert Petersdorf because of the surface iridescent texture and the way the handles were applied.  However, I've been really struggling to find examples of Josephinenhutte iridescent glass to compare. 
I finally found this one (see link below) which is a small vase about 8cm high by 12cm wide - the iridescence is attributed as 'Opal-Zypern'.  The photos aren't great but it looks a lot more shiny or smooth sheeny than the surface on my vase.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vase-Josephinenhutte-Serie-Opal-Zypern-Jelenia-Gora-1881-1900-/181041794832?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item2a26ee8f10

and a number in different colours here
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/52331-josephinenhuette-cypern-series-glass

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-JH-440.html
I think these have quite a lot in common with my little vase. It looks as though their handles aren't iridescent as well but difficult to see clearly.  However mine has a polished pontil mark.  They are under Josephinenhutte on the site.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand