No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark  (Read 8180 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
From another thread, Dirk has found some information  that says the Heckert Cypern range blanks were produced by Josephinenhutte whether  they are decorated or undecorated versions, and references Stefania Zelasko's new book on Fritz Heckert (I'll find the exact source and add it in a mo)
The link Dirk gave to the site where the information came from ( a seller called Neuwirth) also shows an image of a vase in blue selling as Fritz Heckert cypern, which is the same as Christine's gourd vase.
see here for Dirk's message
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52456.msg297779.html#msg297779

So based on that information, Christine's gourd vase would be designed by Fritz Heckert with the blank produced by Josephinenhutte :)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Coming back to my original gold iridescent small vase with non-iridised handles :)

I believe this is my missing link -
This is identified as Fritz Heckert :)
http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-Heckert-920.html
and
described as 'iridescent two handled miniature glass vase flowers Fritz Heckert.  This piece is lightly iridescent'

It's not identical in form, but it is the same colour, the same light iridescence, the same type of iridescence, a similar size (miniature) and has non iridised handles and a similar neck.  I think that's a definite yes to Fritz Heckert  produced by Josephinehutte or at the very least, produced by Josephinenhutte with unknown designer. (See Dirk's comments re Josephinenhutte producing Cypern for FH above)

I can rest now  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
M, it is good that you have found a "missing link" for your vase.

But can an attribution in just one site be taken as a proven identity? That is not to say that I have any reason to query the entry in the GildedCurio site, but I am always wary of just one "missing link" being actual proof of anything, especially when an attribution has no comments to back it up.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No it can't, not for public scrutiny. 
I will continue to look for a referenced match for Alisa's piece (and mine).
But I'm happy with my attribution for me (which for 18months and 5 pages of thread I haven't been  ;D )

Just to add another thing, Alisa's picture blow up really well and the glass has the same watery teardrop bubbles randomly spaced as mine does.  You can see it mostly on the neck.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just adding this one from the V&A for future reference.  The iridescence seems to be similar, the foot also and the applied handles in non-iridescent glass:
https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O273/vase-johann-loetz-witwe/

They have it as 'possibly Loetz' but then have additional information including other makers:

'Josephienhütte(sic - corrected to read Josephinenhütte ) in Bohemia and Rheinische Glashütten-Aktiengesellschaft in Köln-Ehrenfeld, Germany. Retailers included Ludwig Fellmer in Mainz, F. Schöneberg in Berlin (as here) and Tschernich & Co. in Haida (Bor)'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand