No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Bohemian? Small iridescent goldish vase with handles, polished pontil mark
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
I have three of the gourd vases: all uranium, all with a fine stretch (crackle) finish, fire polished rims and polished pontil marks although all very slightly different. Maybe it's an age difference thing.

The finish on yours is completely different

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I'm just dashing out,  but I've found my other one, firepolished rim, uranium glass, has a slightly different colouring green, a little warmer where this one and the one I sold are blue ier, but the finish on the iridescence is exactly the same as this one, no crackly finish/stretch effect finish, completely smooth.

Interestiing.. I will have a ponder on the way to the train station :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:20 PM »
ok possibly an answer to the differences in the Olympia finish (see link) please scroll down  the right hand side to see the comments on Loetz Glatt
https://sites.google.com/site/loetzglass/loetz

On the link it discusses Loetz Glatt and says that

'Glatt refers to the smooth finish on these pieces....' and also 'These came in many colors, including Creta, Olympia (a very pale green), Bronce (bronze), Luna (blue top fading to clear at the bottom) as well as some others.'

Therefore making an assumption here, that on that basis, my vases (at least the two that have the cut rim) may be Loetz Olympia Glatt - where Olympia refers to the colour and Glatt the decor.

I'm not entirely sure where that leaves my other uranium Olympia but I think that must also be Loetz Olympia Glatt.
And yours are called Loetz Olympia then?  I'm not quite sure where that leaves my little vase with the same surface finish but a different colour  :-\ but at least it seems the difference in our pieces is cleared up  ;D
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
Except when you blow some of the glatt pieces up you can see the stretch. I think it probably just means untextured

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
To be honest I'm not sure I can see it to the extent it shows clearly on the gourd vase I linked to without it having to be enlarged :-\

Is this gourd shape a definite Loetz shape? or could it have been produced by Fritz Heckert ( as well as enamelled by Fritz Heckert in the case of the one I linked to)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:58 PM »
I have it as shape 7502, though I can't remember where I got that from

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
thanks. .  I've not managed to find a reference so far that says Fritz Heckert enamelled on Loetz blanks - that's not saying anything I know  :), I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious, but just musing re info on my vase.  It says in Truitt's that they initially used Josephinenhutte blanks to enamel on and in 1889 acquired their own glass hut and began to produce iridescent glass decorated in the Art Nouveau style (ref Truitt's Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 page 70). 
I'll keep looking and thanks for the form number.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
adding to above
This listing says it is a documented form in books and gives the same form number as you have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-LOETZ-Vaseline-GLASS-1898-OLYMPIA-Iridescent-GOURD-Uranium-VASE-Documented-/310524793251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484cb851a3

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
This is phanomen gre  7501 but the production no is  7502 (Is that the shape?).  However it is a slightly different shape to yours, although again I don't know anything about the variations and shape as to whether that would be significant or not if you see what I mean?  If indeed the 7502 refers to the shape. 
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/25984-early-loetz-phnomen-genre-7501-from-18
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »
Yes, Production Number refers to the shape as defined in the Loetz Musterschnitte drawings. 

Although the ebay link is likely accurate for shape and decor, that particular seller may have the most consistently ridiculous prices on ebay for all kinds of glass. 
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand