No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red Thumb bowl with optic windows  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Retro Mojo UK

• Members
  • Been around a bit but always learning!
    • Scandinavian, English, Italian
    • UK
    • Retro Mojo
Re: Red Thumb bowl with optic windows
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
Hi Sue,

This is why it interested me, it's a good weight and feel and a bit of work has gone into it. It's most definitely not for a tea light though. It's quite thick walled and well cut lenses and a clean, smooth rim. The fact it's got a pontil polished out must mean that someone hand worked it?

Cheers
Retro, Vintage, Antique and Collectable!

www.retromojo.co.uk
Twitter: @RetroMojoUK
Facebook.com/RetroMojoUK

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
despite my limited knowledge of processes, I am aware that ground/polished pontil depressions can appear on both pressed and blown glass - although at a guess I suppose this feature appears more commonly on blown glass.          I had assumed from Sue's comments that it was being implied this item had been blown (marvered whilst on the end of the the blow-pipe etc.) - I really don't know - but just thought it didn't look like a piece of blown glass - too thick maybe.         I'm sure I know less than Sue about glass production.
The end use of some pieces of glass can be surprising - see the attached pic..........I now know what this small clear piece (it's about 2.5" - 65mm tall) was intended for, but see how many of you can also guess it's purpose, although again I don't know whether it was pressed or blown.   It does have a ground/polished potil depression  -  think I'd have needed a lot of guesses before getting to the correct answer - maybe not though if I were a mason :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
Polishing the lenses would have been hand done, I'm sure, but the pontil mark (also hand worked) has only been roughly ground. A good quality thing is far more likely to have had the pontil mark properly polished all shiney bright. (I'm glad I only had to type that. I'd have trouble saying it!)
(Getting away from my areas of comfort again - I like studio glass - hot worked stuff. I'm not nearly so much into any sort of cold working on glass.)

Paul, your thing looks like a tiny tumbler.
I would not even wish to hazard a guess about what masons might do with anything.   :P
My geography teacher told us all about the picture of a huge triangular eye she was scared of in a toilet.
It had the words; "God thou see-est always." written underneath. Why "God" would wish to watch somebody in the loo is beyond me. I'm sure that was something masonic!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
I'm not playing this game any more  -  no one ever seems to have trouble in id ing my pieces.       I'm told by a mason (those with rolled up trouser legs - not users of cold chisels) that it's a firing glass from the first third of the C20 - from a Worcestershire lodge.    I had thought you might have stood pencils in it. ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
That would seem logical Paul, given the illustration on it - dividers and a set square. Pencil case stuff.
I told you you can't trust those peculiar men in pinnies.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand