No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline ck2407

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
Maker?
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »
I am trying to identify the maker of this stunning paperweigh and wondered if anyone recognized the style?  :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ck2407

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
Re: Can anyone identify Origin/Maker?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
I am trying to identify the maker of this stunning paperweight and wondered if anyone can help? I've now been trying to find a similar one for comparison on the internet but can only find a 'fountain' weight without ribbons (Ysart at Harland factory)   ???

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Maker?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:22 AM »
Hi CK,

Please be patient. People who may know something may not be visiting the site regularly.

However, I can say that this type of design is known from mainland Europe, including Portugal, but I suspect it is probably fairly recent Czech Republic or might go back to the later Bohemian years.

The Czech / Bohemian examples have been called, by at least one author, "Spider" design rather than "Fountain". It is definitely not an Ysart "fountain" type.

It would help if you could show larger photos (e.g. 600-700 pixel width) so the detail can be seen. If you have trouble getting larger images down to the 125Kb limit for the board, try the online version of the optimiser at:
http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Home.aspx
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ck2407

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
Re: Maker?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply Kevin - I've now optimized photos with Image Optimizer to try out for next time!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand