Author Topic: Chinese Paperweights Hand Painted on the Insside  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Chinese Paperweights Hand Painted on the Insside
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 08:25:15 AM »
The technique of inside or (better known as) reverse painting is quite old, though I don't know for how long it has been applied to things which may be classified as paperweights in the widest sense. There is another collection topic, however: do a Google search on [reverse painted "snuff bottles"] and you'll find beautiful examples for the application of this technique. I don't know much detail, especially not on how the colour is fixed, to keep it from peeling off with time - but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Good suggestion, most links are to auctions but persists as clearly a rich field and source of information on Chinese glass skills. There is only one reverse painted example on this page and that one is damaged, so a snip at $8,800. But the page shows a wealth of glass examples... http://www.snuffbottle.com/new.htm

I presume that this is not another side of the Robert Hall, paperweight author, restorer and dealer?
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
with pictures of the process

Well rooted out Wolf, thank you. That has dashed the romantic image, of the 'myth', that the painters did the work lying on their backs - that I had only known about for an hour or two.  ;)
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »
If there's enough interest why can't a few people order together and save on shipping costs etc?

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com