No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible rinser/finger bowl or what?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible rinser/finger bowl or what?
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
described by the seller as a 'wine cooler' - although I'm not sure what it means in this case as too small a diameter to accommodate a bottle.          Sizes are, about.........4.5" tall with a rim diameter of a tad over 4" which narrows a little toward the base  -  slice cutting to the lower half and large quality ground/polished pontil depression and outer foot rim with fair amount of wear.
A lead glass ring which goes on for ages, and with the looks of some considerable age.
The seller might have meant to say 'wine glass cooler' - but in the absence of opposing lips it would seem unlikely (and probably too narrow anyway)  -  neither is it like any of the finger bowls I have, or seen.

But it may well turn out to be one of these items, in an unusual guise.         So opinions sought please, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: possible rinser/finger bowl or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »
Could it not just be a whisky type glass...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »
thanks  -  it had crossed my mind that it might be a tumbler - some of these early C19 glasses were unlike the proportions of C20 drinking glasses - as you can see in the attached pic where the width is greater than the height.      However, it does seem large for a whiskey - but can't really think it can be anything other than a drinking glass - I think it was the seller's description that had mislead me in the beginning.      I had the date down as something like 1820 - 1840 perhaps. :) 

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »
Ice bucket, anyone?

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
HI ,
           Or a tea mixing glass from a caddy perhaps .

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »
many thanks - both are possibilities :) - although I'd be less inclined to go with the tea mixing bowl in view of the wear - I had this idea that as mixing bowls remained within the caddy, then their bottoms might remain almost free of wear. :-\  -  but that is just my opinion and I could be very wrong.         Unfortunately, I have only two mixing bowls and neither are good examples by which to judge this piece.      As to an ice bucket  -  I don't have any examples, so bit ignorant there  -  can they be reasonably thin glass with a strong resonant ring?             

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
A bit small for an icebucket...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
thanks for all the interest  -  I've just been advised by reliable GMB member that they have previously seen identical pieces as mixing bowls within a tea caddy - so looks like the matter has been solved.        Think I'd have preferred it to have been a Regency tumbler, but no complaints, it's a very nice piece of lead glass from first third of C19 and cost me very little :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand