No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id Webb scale pattern vase please.  (Read 1776 times)

Offline pauloz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Id Webb scale pattern vase please.
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
Hi, I'm new to glass & need pointers on how to research pieces. This vase has a purple base with the balance being clear. It stands 24cm & has a scale pattern on the body. From the mark, it is Webb 1950-1966. Any added info would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll research how to clean glass!
Thanks
Paul

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Id Webb scale pattern vase please.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board :)
I can't help with your decanter but hopefully someone will be along soon who maybe able to help more.
I would describe your decanter as honeycomb pattern or dimples?  , it's very pretty.
I'm not sure how you go about cleaning it if it is water damage but there is information on the board if you use the search button.
Should your carafe have had a stopper?  is the neck ground inside to take a stopper? 
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
Hello,

Firstly, welcome to the board.

This is Webb's 'Fir Cone' pattern.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
Hope Nigel won't object if I just add that................ there is a small and not very clear example of a wine/hock, in this pattern, showing in Charles Hajdamach's '20th Century British Glass' - page 54............it's the blue piece showing in the top left corner. The book page reproduces a copy of a page from a Thomas Webb catalogue stamped 'Overseas Edition' dated 1927 - 28.
Fir Cone appears to be Webb's pattern 27440 and dates to 1903.

Assuming this to be a carafe, then presumably there won't be a stopper.          For decanters and carafes I'd suggest copper balls - this piece doesn't look heavily stained, so you're lucky - metal polish might help.

I thought initially that there were two separate pieces here - the red background suggested a different piece from the clear example.        Hope you won't mind if I comment that pix for clear glass should be chosen with more care - and a black or charcoal background is probably best.

Nice piece  -  I'd have thought quite rare.   I'm quite green. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
sorry, forgot my manners in all that excitement...........welcome to the GMB :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Does it have a coloured foot though? or is that just the picture?  if so it would be nice to see it against an all white background to see the shape etc.
If not, then please ignore me  ;D
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
Shows in the 1930 catalogue with stopper. In half pint, one pint and quart sizes.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
think I can now see stopper wear in pic No. 2  -  so perhaps a decanter and not carafe?? :)

Offline pauloz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome & the information. Sorry for the slow response. The foot is purple, & 2cm down from the top of the neck I can feel a slight change of angle now that I know it's a decanter rather than a vase! I will strive for better pics next time.
I found out that my local antique dealer had donated this item to the op shop where I bought it for $3(2 pounds). He believes the cloudy appearance is etched into the glass & couldn't see the value in trying to clean it. I've got nothing to lose & lots to learn by giving it a go.
Thanks again.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Hello again,

Given all the comments and your last reply Paul from Oz, the stopper should match the colour of the foot and have the same moulded finish as the body of the decanter, although generally less pronouced.  This would date it to c1930 - the plain ones being earlier in my experience.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand