No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Picasso Glass Face  (Read 4769 times)

Offline icedgold10

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mary Gregory
    • USA
Murano Picasso Glass Face
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:47 AM »
How much does a chip on the nose of a Murano Picasso face devalue the piece?  I saw one for sale locally for a very good price.  Wasn't sure if it destroyed the value or just reduces it.  The piece still looks amazing.  Thanks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Murano Picasso Glass Face
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
If it's a scarce and good piece, damage will reduce the value quite considerably, but not completely.
Often the only way mere mortals can hope to own top quality work is if it has been reduced in price by damage!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Murano glass buyers are strange animals. Unless it is rare, even a little damage can reduce the value to near nothing. It is not that the value dips that much on paper, but almost no one will buy it. The good thing is the person buying the slightly damaged piece is buying it for themselves and not for resale.

Do you know who did the face? That will be what determines if it retains any value. (Appraisers say a small chip takes 25% off the value. That may be so, but it becomes very slow to sell, so it is hard to say.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
The ball's in your court, really. If you think the price is good and you can handle the damage, because it's a piece you want to live with, perhaps you can negotiate an even better price...  8)

But as TKSilver says, finding out the maker would help you a lot in deciding.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
How much does a chip on the nose of a Murano Picasso face devalue the piece?  I saw one for sale locally for a very good price.  Wasn't sure if it destroyed the value or just reduces it.  The piece still looks amazing.  Thanks.

Can you post a picture of this chip?
Not always, but sometime it is possible to polish a little bit the surface (it is normally a very reasonable cost).
Consider that often the new pieces, just made, pass by the coldwork studio to clean7fix the surface and some details.

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »

Does reduce price, but they still sell. 

See item number 198 here (Roosters) as both have repaired combs
http://www.antiquehelper.com/catalogs/March%2009%20Full%20Catalog%20merge.pdf

If it's a scarce and good piece, damage will reduce the value quite considerably, but not completely.
Often the only way mere mortals can hope to own top quality work is if it has been reduced in price by damage!

Somewhere I saw a High Class Auction for a murano glass bird with a total repair to both wings (I think).  It was SO rare even with the total repair on the wings it sold for something like $ 34,000.00.  Trying to find it again. 

More than I can afford!!!  LOL

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:43 AM »
Buying  it for resale is very tricky. You can get a chip taken off if you have access to a glass repair person. The person I go to in Vancouver, charges $30 an hour, minimum one hour. Even then not all chips can be repaired while retaining the look of the original piece. And certainly not every city in North America has a glass repairer who could do Murano quality repairs. Another factor is that these Picasso faces are now mass produced, both in Murano and, I suspect, China, so you have to be very sure you have one by a respected  maker in order to have any chance of getting your money back.

If your buying to keep, I agree with the others that often the only way I can afford a very good piece is if it's slightly damaged.

God luck.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »
This thread has some interesting posting dates.  :)

I would have thought a chip to such a prominent feature would have a drastic effect on value.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
Hi All

Murano Glass can be repaired but it ALWAYS detracts from its value, regardless of how good the repair is.   

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand