No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood Duck  (Read 4818 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Wedgwood Duck
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Thanks for that clarification Paul,  I always wondered why the Wedgwood England mark was so rough...now I know.  :) 
I well remember an eBay listing where the seller had described it as Maker Unknown but with WEDGWIXXI) ENGLAND on the base!  I wrote and explained that it said Wedgwood,  but they would not believe me until I sent a picture of the type of 'stencil writing' on the side of a Tea Chest, then they wrote back and thanked me profusely....then listed it as WEDGEWOOD!!!

Aggggghhhhh!!! :o

Why do they put an 'E' in the middle for heavens sake?? ::)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
Because that is how it is pronounced, even if that is not how it is spelled. They are simply following the normal English spelling rules. Don't realize it is one of the thousands of exceptions.

Carolyn

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:16 AM »
Hi, this is model RSW232 or SG232 I believe - the RSW standing for Ronald Stennett Willson, the designer, of course.  The Wedgwood England sand blasted mark was introduced in 1971 after the representation of the Portland Vase was dropped.  It was maintained until Wedgwood Glass closed, so anytime from late 1971 to the end of the century I am afraid.  They made a lot of ducks - a bit like English batsmen!

I know this is an old thread now,  but does anyone by any chance know what SG stood for?  We know that RSW stood for Ronald Stennett Willson, but SG??  I am stuck here.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »
not for certain, unfortunately.             
However, quoting from Susan Tobin's book..................

""In the mid-1970s though the existing number for current items remained the same, the alphabetical code was changed from RSW to SG.           Additional codes   -  CG, CJG, SJ (Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth's accession   -  1977), SJG, and ST  - were introduced from that time also.""

The longhand explanation for some of these codes would appear to be fairly obvious........... i.e.   Commemorative Glass, Commemorative Jubilee Glass etc., but Susan Tobin doesn't explain what SG stands for.
In the various Appendices in the author's book, other codes also look to be obvious ............    B for bowls,   D for Decanters and related objects, J for jewellery,  L for lamps etc.

Might SG have been for Stennett Glass, Sandringham Glass, Small Gifts, Small Glass etc. ;)

Perhaps someone should send the lady an email and ask.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 06:09:13 PM »
Thanks for replying Paul.... yes,  like you I did check Susan Tobin's book with the same results, but no definitive answer.
I will see if I can contact her next week. :)
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand