No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood Duck  (Read 4790 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Wedgwood Duck
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
Wedgwood duck signed to base 7" - wondered about date?

Adam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Wedgwood Duck
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
Hi Adam,
This will be around 1970 or slightly later,  I am sure Wayne will be able to give you a more accurate date, his website gives a great deal of information on the history of Wedgwood as does Thistleblower.
Rosie.  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »
Hi, this is model RSW232 or SG232 I believe - the RSW standing for Ronald Stennett Willson, the designer, of course.  The Wedgwood England sand blasted mark was introduced in 1971 after the representation of the Portland Vase was dropped.  It was maintained until Wedgwood Glass closed, so anytime from late 1971 to the end of the century I am afraid.  They made a lot of ducks - a bit like English batsmen!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
Hi Neil,  I always thought they stopped making the ducks in 1989??  Now where did I get that info from?   I will have to check through my info to see what made me think that.

I'm glad you mentioned the removal of the Portland vase though, because I was chatting to a friend a couple of months ago and mentioned a piece he had bought must have been pre 1970 because it had the acid etched vase on the base....Whew, glad I got that right!!
Rosie.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
Hi Rosie, you are quite right of course.  Wedgwood sold Wedgwood Glass to Caithness in 1988 so no "Wedgwood" ducks were made after that date.  The Portland Vase mark was actually sand blasted I believe, rather than acid etched.  This was for safety reasons.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
My recollection is that Wedgwood Glass actually closed in 1987 but it is possible that the sale to Caithness may have been 1988.

This is based on the fact that in 1987 I took on some ex-Wedgwood glassmakers who had been made redundant when Wedgwood pulled out of glass.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
Now I didn't know the portland Vase Logo was sandblasted Neil... see you never stop learning, do you?

!And I have just bought one of your 1989 Ellies from that era Adam... signed Turnmill... happy me!!

Rosie.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
!And I have just bought one of your 1989 Ellies from that era Adam... signed Turnmill... happy me!!
Well done! Image? ;-)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
Will post an image when it arrives Adam... OK? Might even bring it with me to show you at one of your open days if I have it by then. 
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
quote from Neil........."The Portland Vase mark was actually sand blasted I believe, rather than acid etched.  This was for safety reasons".         
Just thought it might be of interest to say that according to Susan Tobin, ALL Wedgwood marks were 'sand etched'  -  although it's probably better to say sand-blasted, otherwise there might be confusion. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand