No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Foil 'JS'/'SJ' label on Art Deco Czech glass - glassworks ID, please?  (Read 4707 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Can anyone identify the Czech glassworks who marked their wares with this foil 'JS'/''SJ' label, please ?

Probably dates from the 1930s.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: Foil 'JS'/'SJ' label on Art Deco Czech glass - glassworks ID, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »
Hi, it could be the designer's initials rather than the glass house if it preceded the second world war.  Any chance of getting a picture of the object?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
Could be the importer

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
The label appears on the underside of a perfume atomiser bottle and a perfume flask from a (presumably crystal) trinket/vanity set trio. No markings on the atomiser head.

I’ll be posting photos of the whole trio on the glass trinket sets section shortly, but thought that I would try to get an ID of the label from GMB Czech-glass section first.

(In my first post, I’ve inadvertently omitted to credit the photo of the label to Patrick Sturkyn).

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Josef Schussheim & Co.  Leipzig, Saxony - Refinery/decorator 1922 on

Jäckel & Schwuchow, Arndtstr. 6.   Leipzig, Saxony - Refinery/decorator active c1925

Josef Schuster & Co. Nurnberg less likely as the did advertising stuff and their label included ampersand.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
Wrong country Frank

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Not really, country on label is where the glass was made, decorator might have had an office in Cz too but not a lot of point as only 160 or so km from glassmakers in northern cz

Anyway the JS is exact match for first one above in Hartmann.

Just a thought, they could be cz based just maintaining a showroom in Leipzig to be near the Messe. Hartmann source is Glasindustrie 1933 mine is 1925 but they are not listed there. Without more detail we cannot be certain but label is definitely Josef Schussheim's and not the other 2 I gave. He seems to have vanished in 1938 but may have managed to get to UK and/or US.

Offline vetraio50

• Members
Some years later I have come across reference to Jos.Schuster & Co when researching the "Cristallerie de Turn" mentioned in A Study of Loetz Cut Glass Production by Dr. K. M. Hasselbach : "As there was not enough capacity for cutting available at Klostermuehle, Loetz established in 1925 another cutting place at Unterreichenstein (Rejštejn ) together with Jos. Schuster&Co [Lnen, page 60] to satisfy the demand for traditionally bohemian cut glass and marked it mainly to Europe under 'Cristallerie de Turn'." The '[Lnen, page 60]' refers to Jitka Lněničková : 'Johann Loetz Glas aus dem Boehmerwald 1824-1939'.
The Cristallerie de Turn is also mentioned in an article on perfume bottles again by Jitka Lněničková in Pressglas-Korrespondenz Nr. 06/2000 : "Welt der Duftbehälter" : "In einigen lokalen Raffinerien wurde auch Toiletten-Glas verziert: Albrecht & Co. - Košt‘any, Pestner & Co. - Košt‘any, Cristallerie de Turn - Trnovany usw. Auch bei der Firma F. Welz ist die Produktion von Puder-Dosen belegt."

Not saying that the label is Jos.Schuster & Co but is certainly over the border in Czechoslovakia.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:12:50 AM »
Jos Schuster & Co 1920-45 Zuckmantel Bohemia. Glassworks and finisher, still doubt label match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand