No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sam Herman anyone?  (Read 10545 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Sam Herman anyone?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi m. I think you are right about the signature being 'Kooke'. Michael Hook's sigs are usually clear, although they became somewhat stylised and harder to read in later years. The three examples below show the variety that I have seen. The earliest is from 1982, the middle one from the late 1980s I'd guess, and the third from a 2000s perfume bottle.

I agree that the free form of your piece also seems at odds with Michael Hook's refined and symmetrical later work. But then, I suppose, we all had to start somewhere.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
these early Morar pieces from Peter Layton remind me of my vase - perhaps it dates to a similar period i.e. c. 1971
http://londonglassblowing.co.uk/timeline/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »
Yet again, I'm solving my own puzzle. The item described in Replies #4 and 5 has the inscription JFWI (for Jam Factory Workshop), a date of November 1980 and also some initials of the maker. The form of signing indicates it is a piece made to be sold as JF production ware to finance the training operation.

I kept reading the initials as U2, which of course is nonsense in the circumstances. I now realise it says NR for Neil Roberts, who was one of only a handful of trainees at the time. NR went on to a celebrated career in sculpture and glass, until he was killed in 2002 when he was struck by a train while trying to rescue his dog from the tracks. For those interested, there is a website in his name maintained by his friends as a tribute.

I figured this out after seeing another JFW piece signed by Fred Tessari, who was contemporary with NR.

I realise that I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks the question worth solving.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
I'm still reading and trying to take it in. ;D
I have a long-standing mystery vase that looks a little bit like your blue swathed one. Found on a stall under a bridge in Portobello Road, sometime circa 1999.
It has a large, roughly ground out, round pontil mark. It is absolutely not contemporary Chinese. I'll have to get pics, won't I?  ::)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
You are definitely NOT the only person Trevor! :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:50 PM »
Just adding for my future reference that my vase reminds me of pieces by Robert Fritz (just in case a Kooke worked with Mr Fritz in the past and comes to light one day - obviously it could just be an 'inspired by' piece though).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Well it's very handy indeed that you have brought this thread up, m. as I have a little something to add, hopefully of interest to Trevor.
I have recently treated myself to the beautiful book on Sam Herman, (just published by Lund Humphries) and there is a small bit at the end about marks. on p 170.
It states that;
"When Herman was assisted by another glass artist or craftsperson, he always tried to ensure that their initials appeared on the piece."

:)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
Thanks Sue, that is interesting. I haven't seen that kind of marking, but then most of the SJH pieces I've seen come from the short period he worked in Australia (short, that is, relative to his long career).

Trevor

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
Well, I think this means that if we find initials that are not related to where Sam was, then they indicate the person who worked on the piece with him.
We might have suspected this before, but it seems to be confirmed. I cannot think that the book is inaccurate.

There are other prefixes used. SA and a number for Southern Australia, '74-'79.
VAL for Val St lambert
The Lots Road Studio, '79-'84, used a prefix of "SJH" or "CA to CZ" or "CAC" before a number, while production work there is marked Sam Herman Studio.
A few pieces made at High Wycombe have the prefix HW
and 21st century work is not numbered.

I hope I'm not reproducing too much out of the book for copyright troubles!
I can say I recommend the book very highly indeed. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
Thanks Sue. I don't think anyone will be put off buying the book. In fact, you've got me on the lookout for it.

I might add that 'Sam Herman Studio' and 'SJH Studio' were also used by his students on their own works for a graduating exhibition in 1977 as a tribute.

I've spotted one mistake though. SA is the state of South Australia, which invited SJH and largely funded the Jam Factory. The state comprises only a portion of the region 'Southern Australia' - and quite a chunk of The Centre as well.

Trevor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand