No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Monart colourway please? - ID = Monart  (Read 14718 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is this a Monart colourway please? - ID = Monart
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:42:16 PM »
http://s77.beta.photobucket.com/user/auctionlist/media/4November/4NOV008.jpg.html

link to someone else's pic...it seems to have little bits of mica scattered around all over the vase but I couldn't see this colour on Frank's site.  The vase shape is right btw. (well, I think it is  :-\  )
thanks
m

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: is this a Monart colourway please?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
The link provided only shows the bottom half of the vase and is not possible to identify the colourway or shape code.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
the shape code seems to be MF  and the whole vase is like that - no added whorls or colours at the top or anything.  It's a mottled ambery bubbly decor with tiny mica flakes all over I think.
That's the problem I'm having trying to id the colour  as on the Monart colours page I can only see a section picture with a section of decor/colour rather than the whole piece. I suppose my question is, did Monart do a colour like this where the whole piece was this decor?  I'm fairly confident the shape is MF but I had pondered possibly Stevens and Williams.
I'm pretty certain it has mica flakes all over it, but in the description the owner has not mentioned this at all unfortunately.
thanks for looking 
m :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantastic-MONART-GLASS-VASE-/221151464409?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item337da78bd9&nma=true&si=bmriHBw%2BeuARVIZGkolDYm67w%2Bo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Gary this is the link to the vase.
Seller relisted it as Stourbridge - therefore possibly not Monart.  It reminds me of some Stevens and Williams vases which is why I'm asking but not the mica flakes which it looks like there are.
thanks for any thoughts though.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
It doesn't say anything to me, flying-free. I don't think I would have considered Monart.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:54:14 PM »
no, I did wonder S&W (or Czech with the mica flakes in)  However the shape is very similar to a Monart vase I have and that's what they listed it as originally, so I just thought I'd ask...  I think they must have been told not Monart as it was relisted after being sold.

Thanks Sue
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
Well, we've photos of S&W of this shape in the archives, so I'd likely go with that, although I can't say that I've seen the colourway before.  Seen in May Green ; 'Mesh'; and in blue and green 'Rainbow' pattern amongst others.

Photos are very poor in order to see the colour and internal decoration properly IMHO.

Nigel

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
Hi flying free, I seen the vase on ebay when it was listed as a Monart piece, I had my doubts at the time because of the colourway, though as you say the shape is very similar to the Monart shape MF.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
Thank you Nigel and Gary.
Nigel, I'd thought it looked similar but didn't recognise the colourway and also the base looked narrower than I thought it should be. But then this (see link) was the one I was looking at and the size didn't seem right -
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-15317

Am I  looking at the wrong shape?
And then couldn't find it as a Monart colour either.  It looks quite S&W at the rim with the thickness of the glass.  When I asked the seller he just said he was told it was a Stourbridge vase.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Well I did buy it. It arrived today.  And I am 99.99% sure it's Monart. If it's not, I'll eat my lunch  ;D.
What I thought was mica is in fact masses of gold aventurine/copper aventurine - completely smothered in aventurine and random bubbles which is why it's so incredibly difficult to photograph - it looks amazing under artifical lighting.
Not cased, has an internal layer then a layer of bubbles I think, then a layer of aventurine in amber.  The base is a little strange, polished flat but the pontil mark is fine ground twice making a figure of eight.  And it's a bit thicker than my other Monart in the same shape.
Still, I'm sure in my bones it's Monart.  What do you all think and what colour way would it be?
I'll add a few more pics below of the close ups.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand