No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Monart colourway please? - ID = Monart  (Read 14717 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: is this a Monart colourway please?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
more pics

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »
Looking much more Monarty now!
I've got my coffee and e-fag, just waiting for those who know to comment now...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
Well, I for one think you're right. Certainly you're comparison of the two pieces together is quite compelling  :)

Very unusual base, but not impossible......well 'you've' got it ;) :)

Better disregard my comments in my previous post methinks ??? :-[

Nigel

Edit - PS. Much better photos than on the earlier links, N.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
ooh thank you both  :-*
yes Nigel, I couldn't work it out either and didn't ask for a base pic because I just thought it looked a bit special - always a gamble lol as I've had plenty turn up , bought on that basis, that turned out not to be special at all.  It's a difficult one to photograph and his pics did not show it off at it's best,  which is why I thought the little darker splashes were flakes of mica on the close up.  But he described it as pinky and I know aventurine shows up badly in photographs and often gives off a pinkish look, so I took a gamble.  Very glad I did. 

Is it a rare colourway then perhaps? (she says all excited just in case) I've been through Frank's site with a fine toothcomb and cannot find anything similar.  I can find (and I have one piece with) the aventurine and bubbles in various pieces, but only in combination with colour and decoration of some sort.
I'm so happy about this piece  ;D - I love the shape and pleased to have something a bit 'different'.
I don't have anything in this colour for my 20s/30s collection, so it's just perfect in every way  :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
 ;) She's good, isn't she? Nigel!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »
Hi flying free does the bowl in the link below resemble the colourway of your vase (minus gold aventurine).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VASART-MONART-AMBER-GLASS-BOWL-c-1940s-NICE-PIECE-

Monart did do a finish on the base similar to your vase (see photo below), though so far I have not seen one ground twice like your one.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
Hi Gary
Unfortunately the link you gave has been removed,so I can't see that bowl.

Thanks for checking the base for me.  The Monart  posy vase I have has exactly the same base as this vase, polished completely flat  with a finely ground out pontil mark, the pontil mark also badly shaped and also having evidence of the grinding tools to one side, but it's not in the double pontil mark shape, just wonky.
I'll add some pics.

Edited to add... is this the bowl you mean?  if so, no I would say not except for the fact they are both amber and both have bubbles.  I bet that is a lot thicker glass and a lot heavier for size, because it does look very similar to another bowl I have with green squiggly lines in.  I'll dig that out if I can remember where I've put it, and do a comparison.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VASART-MONART-AMBER-GLASS-BOWL-c-1940s-NICE-PIECE-/230892669783?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item35c2468b57
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »
I've found my other bowl.
Firstly my new vase has a smattering of bubbles spread out, some a little bigger than others, very watery looking bubbles, very like my blue bubbly Monart in type, and then has lots of absolutely minute pin prick size bubbles spread all over.  But they don't look like the bowl you linked to.
The bowl you linked to is however a similar shape as another bowl I have, but my bowl is smaller and in a different decor.It's difficult to tell but  I  think the base finish on mine is different to the one you linked to but I still think they are the same maker probably.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
see reply above and here is a pic of the bubbles in the vase
Also the aventurine in the vase makes the amber look darker than it really is, because there is so much of it and it's in rolled in an amber glass.  I think the bowl you've linked to is a darker colour more like my bowl.
The decor is exactly the same as this link, with the bubbles and the aventurine, except mine is only in amber glass, and has no colours in it http://www.museum.bristolblueglass.com/ysart-pin-tray-ca-1930s/
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Gary do you have other ideas on the vase?
Anyone have any thoughts on what decor/colourway it would be please?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand