No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Monart colourway please? - ID = Monart  (Read 14676 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: is this a Monart colourway please?
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
 :) Frank, I think flying-free is slightly concerned that she no longer has a collection of "Monart", but of Ysart seconds from the Monart period.
I've never heard of a piece of Monart not being Monart when it's from the correct period, on the grounds of the base finish being different...

This is the (proper) base finish on my Monart miniature.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
But her questions were looking for a definitive answer and I went, perhaps unthinkingly, down that path which has ended up being misleading as there are no definitive paths at that level of detail in Ysart glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
ok, so can I ask for your personal opinion on the matter, Frank? Do you consider that flying-free has Monart glass?
I do.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Yes

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
Hi flying free, the link below gives an indication of the wide variation of Monart base finishes, I have not included any images of applied footed pieces.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=985
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Thank you all so much for imparting such a huge amount of information and going into such detail regarding my vase.  I truly appreciate your knowledge and opinions and have/am learning so much from the discussions.

Phew..  I'm glad to know my vases are Monart.  Sue, you were absolutely right, I was beginning to think I may have inadvertently accumulated some oddities, so thank you so much for pursuing it and understanding where I was coming from.

Gary, Frank, , thank you for trying to help me understand and for going to so much effort to explain to me - and I'm sorry I've caused confusion.  I have taken a while to respond because I have been searching for pontil marks (thank you Gary :) ) to try and see where I was not understanding what you meant.  And I think I've finally realised what you meant.  It is unusual to find a vase with a shiny polished flat base (not an  applied base or foot) but with a finely ground out pontil mark that is not a button pontil mark. I think I've got that right? 

Frank I've read loads more information on your site in the process, so thank you so much for sharing that information.  I love knowing 'where' my pieces come from and having some history is hugely informative.

Gary, thank you for putting pics on and going to so much effort to direct me.  I've looked at all your pics, to try and work out where I was misunderstanding and it has helped very much.   In the process, I did find this one which appears to also be a double ground pontil mark albeit on a piece that I think has an applied foot? 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18229

I believe my other three vases conform to the pontil marks shown by Gary in their various guises (two button, one ground in a shiny base on a posy with an applied foot), it just seems to be this one that is slightly different.

My vase is proudly on display as centrepiece, with the other pieces in my collection :)  I've learnt loads in the process of this thread, so thank you all.
m

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: is this a Monart colourway please? - ID = Monart
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Gary, thank you for putting pics on and going to so much effort to direct me.  I've looked at all your pics, to try and work out where I was misunderstanding and it has helped very much.   In the process, I did find this one which appears to also be a double ground pontil mark albeit on a piece that I think has an applied foot? 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18229
I have checked the vase (with applied foot) you mention and it does not have a double ground pontil, though I agree the photo I have posted appears to have something similar to your vase finish (ie double ground pontil).

I am always happy to help fellow Monart collectors, this thread has also aided me in respect to finding a new Monart colourway (at least to me).
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Even my brother and his OH agree, it's a very unusual colourway.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
I just thought I'd add this image I found on the net.
It's the same vase, same shape and, I think, the same decor but... it's a different colourway and in the pale pink decor there is a darker pink as well as the aventurine splotches
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7e/c8/44/7ec844a8ce3b3afe501ebe80b7c9b3df.jpg

here is a link to mine

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50536.0;attach=118497;image

I have not yet come across another piece in plain amber with the aventurine. 
It needs to be lit well to look fab.  Perhaps they decided it was too plain (gold coloured aventurine in a goldy coloured vase) hence not repeated.

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »
seen a few of those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia