No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH ID IS THIS FENTON, WHEELING, MT. WASHINGTON???  (Read 3576 times)

Offline vitowitt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass, Paperweights
    • Florida
NEED HELP WITH ID IS THIS FENTON, WHEELING, MT. WASHINGTON???
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »
This is a beautiful vase with a very smooth feel to the glass. There is no markings and really don't know much about this type of glass. Any help would be much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: NEED HELP WITH ID IS THIS FENTON, WHEELING, MT. WASHINGTON???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
not remotely my area, but I get the feeling someone, somewhere, is trying to suggest Mt. Washington Burmese  -  although the yellow looks too yellow     Have there been copies of Burmese in recent times.          It might be worth trying the uv torch, if you have one.          Ironically, I think the originals did include some classical shapes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:01 PM »
Hi and welcome!  :)
(and, pretty please, don't "shout", we can read normal script far more easily than a screed of capitals!)
Paul if that's Burmese - it's burnt Burmese! However, I don't think there's white on true Burmese, is ther?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
dear Sue..........no, I really don't think this is genuine Burmese, but.........there is no doubt that the colourway is not too dissimilar - and even before I opened the Grover's book it was Burmese that came to mind.        Top down, and starting with that matt cinnamon into a creamy yellowish buff, would appear to be a Burmese signature..........but I did only say someone was suggesting that type of glass.         Am sure you're correct and that white doesn't appear in the originals.        However, where this comes from I've not the remotest idea. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
Christine's been teaching me Paul,  ;D , using real examples I was able to handle and study. If there's cinnamon at the top, that's burnt. As it happens I prefer it, Christine likes it too, but for the purist, it should be pink at the top.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
you're lucky to have such a teacher - I have to make do with books ;)        I was looking through Grover, Barrie Skelcher and a Thomas Webb booklet  -  there seems to be a little variation in depth/strength of colours - as you'd expect perhaps, so maybe depended on how much gold and method of re-heating process.         I've never owned a piece and not my area at all, but understand there have been unscrupulous characters who have removed the name from Fenton pieces hoping perhaps to create a older provenance, attracted by the fact that original pieces can fetch big money.

As mentioned, I was simply drawing attention to what I thought was an attempt to copy the approximate colourway - with the added connection that some of the original Mt. Washington material was produced in shapes influenced by Greek urns or similar.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »
Mt. Washington Burmese can be peach to yellow to white or peach to yellow or peach to white. Webb can also be peach to white, peach to yellow. Best book on Burmese is Sisk's Mt. Washington Art Glass with a special section dealing with Webb. 47 pages devoted to Mt. Washington Burmese & 14 pages devoted to Webb Burmese. There are so many Murano versions of Burmese it isn't even funny, but fortunately 99% of them will not react to a blacklight & the colors simply are not right.

Offline vitowitt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass, Paperweights
    • Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:43:59 AM »
I appreciate everyone's responses and sorry with the all caps post was in a hurry and forgot to correct it. Just a note that I would't call some of the color as being white it's almost a cream colored with a yellowish tint and it's hard to see it correctly with the lighting in my pictures. Also, the inside and the bottom of the vase is UV reactive just to note. Thanks

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »
OK now I'am a bit confused when you say the inside & bottom are reactive. What about the body of the vase? You should be able to simply place the body against a blacklight & the entire piece will react. This isn't cased with a white lining is it?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »
Can we see a rim shot please. Perhaps the yellow to dark peach shaded layer does not contain uranium, just the creamy white base layer.
In this, the uranium is not in the yellow
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1638

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand