No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams? With a grotesque repair... ID = Bohemian  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
I made a rookie error buying on a Facebook group.  :'( It's the old never buy from dodgy photographs mistake. So I ended up paying $50 (inc postage) for this (remind me, these are S & W) and it turned up and has the most dodgy repair job I've ever seen. Seller assured me there was absolutely no damage (ha). The sale post with the original photos has of course vanished from the FB page.

It's the wild west out there again. Anyway, it's pretty hilarious so feel free to have a laugh at my expense!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Stevens & Williams? With a grotesque repair...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »
What has it been done with? Some sort of glass paint out of a tube?
Somebody's gone to some effort to do that, and it's not quite as bad as the old lady that "touched up" the ancient and wonderful icon in a church. ;D
I'm sorry you got duped. That's plain nasty.
But at least you have your Benny to compensate. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Bohemian would be my opinion: typical amber and uranium and typical leaf. I think you were doubly had, sorry. In my experience very little on the Web attributed to S&W or even Webb actually is

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
Thanks all!

S&W was my guess, so entirely my mistake there. This was being sold as *Murano*, lol, and not for a huge price which would have been reasonable if it didn't have a nasty brown lump on it.

Will change the heading and move this to the bohemian category.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand