No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass jug RD 791399 (1934) – ID = Libochovice  (Read 5627 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Pressed glass jug RD 791399 (1934) – ID = Libochovice
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »
Pressed glass jug RD 791399 (1934) – precise registration details, please?

A clear pressed glass patterned jug on four tiny feet. 10.5cm high. Raised RD number 791399 for late March 1934.

(Permission for the re-use of this image on GMB granted by Martin Bunn).

Not on http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos09.htm

The owner has double checked the number in case of a mis-read.

Is the RD number in the blue book? If so, could someone tell me the precise registration details, please?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
RD 791399  = Hoskins Rose & Co, 22.3.1934. :) Source: Blue Book

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for your swift and informative reply, Anne.

So, yet another 'missing' Hoskins, Rose & Co. registration run to ground.

I strongly suspected that, if the regsistration number was in the Blue Book,  that they (or another importer) may well have been the registrants because... I've now checked the pre-1958 Libochovice catalogue on Marcus Newhall's Sklo Union CD-ROM and, surprise!, the jug appears on page 38 as pattern number 1498.

I will lodge the photo and details on the GMB RD numbers database shortly.

Is this another case for transferring the topic to the GMB Czech etc. section for posterity?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
some additional images from TNA today - and another item originally registered as CLASS IV.

Amusing to see the following snippet which I discovered during a recent look through the Kew records relating to the various Board of Trade  CLASSES of materials  -  and although this is way before the period covered by the Blue Book (1908 - 1945) no doubt the habit persisted, and is quite possibly the reason that C20 glass items are missing from the Blue Book.

"From 1842 to 1883 the representations were filed according to their 'material classification' (what they were made of - see the classification table below).          The clerks sometimes placed items in the wrong material class, so that a book binding may be mis-filed as a carpet (as was BT 50/52 design 38781)."

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you very much for your help once again, Paul.

Nice to see the original registration drawings and other details.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Libochovice milk & sugar
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
I have at last managed to identify this cute milk jug and sugar bowl which has a reg no. 791399 which dates from 1934 thanks to Marcus's CD Rom of catalogues. They are in the Libochovice catalogue before 1958 page 38 pattern 1498 and 1499. Feeling pleased with myself  ;D

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18394

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I found one of these in a charity shop today so brought it home with me. :) It has the RD no 791399 on the base but it's not easy to see clearly. I'll try and get photo of the number later as well. Sadly its sugar bowl wasn't with it, but I'll keep looking for one to go with it. Incidentally, in the Libochovice catalogue there is a wider bowl like the sugar basin which I think may have been intended as a flower jardiniere, as it's the same height (100mm) but much wider at 233mm.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand