No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this what i think it is are they as rare as ppl say? Wheeling Morgan Vase??  (Read 2190 times)

Offline foreversearching

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass, ceramics
    • england uk
I think this could be an american Wheeling Morgan Vase. Its 7 and 7/8 inches tall and has an offset polish out pontil dip. White inner shell cased in a clear yellowish glass make the bottom half custard yellow and top half is deep burgundy becoming a lighter colour where it meets the clear bit.

If its what i think it is id be very happy. If theres any American glass ppl out there that can help.

Thankyou

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
My opinion...it's Hobbs Brockunier remake (facsimile) of the Morgan vase. Shading is correct, white cased interior is correct, everything looks legit plus I've handeled two of these before. Only thing you are missing is the amber dragons stand. Nicely done. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline foreversearching

• Members
    • glass, ceramics
    • england uk
Thankyou Ken. I knew it was something special when i saw it. When you know youve seen it before but cant place it. Ive done a bit of research before coming here with it but wasnt conviced.
As i found it here in England in mid sized antique shop probably very unusual to find it here and im very doubtful ill find a dragon stand for it here. Maybe i should go back and go through the place with a fine tooth comb. 

Well one or two small surface scratches and a tiny impact on the outside of the rim otherwise well.. even with im chuffed so far.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
those with the Grovers book, or similar, will know what is being discussed  -  perhaps foreversearching or Ken will just give a little more text about the 'Morgan' vase, please :) :)

Offline foreversearching

• Members
    • glass, ceramics
    • england uk
Im no expert what ive learned about this vase is all new probably Ken would know more but from what i read its an interesting story
 A Chinese porcelain vase that made headlines in 1886 when it was sold by the estate of Mary Morgan for $18,000 and shortly afterwards these glass versions were made and sold because it was a ready made market what with all the coverage the Morgan vase had got.

Apologies for me calling it a Morgan vase originally im rushing around a bit excited to find out more the vase i have is one of the (we think) glass version made by Hobbs Brunier Co? did i spell that right.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Fantastic find!  Hobbs, Brockunier is the correct spelling.

Sid

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Morgan vase was Chinese porcelain from the K'ang Hsi period of reign from 1662-1722, marking indicated it was used on writing tables of emperors, & nobles of the court. Actually the real Morgan vase has a fired finish that remembes Agata far more than anything like Peachblow. Kind of ironic they way we at times feel about Chinese stuff these days.

Really a type of once in a lifetime find so congrats to your stars being aligned & the use of your knowledge to recognize something special. Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Hobbs, Brockunier must have had a good UK agent because their glass is to be found here, unlike so many US manufacturers. Mostly it seems to have gone the other way in the 19th C

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks - it would seem that it is to the original Morgan Chinese ceramic vase (which understand was catalogued as Peach Bloom) that we owe the very existence of 'Peach Blow' glass.          Apparently the amber coloured stands in the form of stylized griffins are sometimes found being used as toothpick holders - so if anyone here has a toothpick holder................ ;)
quote............"Kind of ironic they way we at times feel about Chinese stuff these days".        Yes, a real irony.

Great piece, congratulations. :)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum