No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request  (Read 49846 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Hi, Can anyone identify this rare overlaid glass bud vase.  I have tried to research this vase and managed to find some that do bare similarities, however, not with the additional applied clear and striped overlay as shown, especially paying attention to the shape of the body of the vase compared to others.   My first thoughts were Murano, when observing the base support(footed).   I am now thinking that this may not be Murano after all.  Harrach and Fenton are also on my line of research.  Any help on maker appreciated!   I have dated this vase around the late 1900's.  I am sure someone will correct me on this. 

H. 21.3cm  Dia. at top 3.1cm

Here are just some of the sites I have visited:-

http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/gallery-vaseline/slides/vaselineopalescentfrilledbudvase.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290777949891

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
Almost certainly Bohemian and very possibly Harrach. They seemed to like this stripey stuff. Rare is probably a bit rich. Uncommon might be better. I think you mean late 1800s though.

Here are some Harrach examples (Ignore the custard ones)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:35 AM »
Rare is probably a bit rich. Uncommon might be better. I think you mean late 1800s though.

Hi Christine.   Thanks for your info. and comments.  Uncommon it is  ;).   I did not realise that this vase could be over 200 years old.  That maybe the reason why the supports show clear signs of ware.  Since you have dated this as being older than what I initially thought,  I decided it would be a good idea to inspect the vase thoroughly.  On close observation, I have noticed inscribed/scratched markings to the outer edge of the pontil area.  BM3, BN3 or BA13, I think.  On the opposite side of the pontil I can just about make out the letter S or 5 and a signature.  I am not too sure.  It is clearly signed by hand, like a Doctor signing a prescription form.  I just can't make out the signature as it looks like a letter on top of a letter. ::). If this is a Harrach vase I am aware that there are still ongoing investigations into decoding the markings/signatures to the later pieces.   I have taken xtra pics. to assist, but having difficulty under artificial lighting.  I will have to see if I can take a better picture in natural light, unless you have any suggestions other that purchasing a high quality camera ;D.     

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »
think you are getting mixed up with 18th century and late 1800. 18th century is 1700 to 1799. late 1800 is 19th century is just over 100 years still a good age for glass.

stew
there is always someone worse off .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
Looks like someone scratched their post code on it. Marks are sometimes found on the enamelled ones, but not usually this sort. Your vase is probably just over 100 years old

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »
Thanks for the correction Stew.  Yes! still certainly a good age. 

There is every possibility Christine that It could be a postcode. Who in there right mind would do that I wonder!  I want rule out that it could possibly be an authentic mark though, but will certainly bare in mind your thoughts.   Postcodes were only introduced from 1957, I think.   I am not able to match an area to the markings using different variations from what I can just about read.  If the markings are not authentic, I suppose the markings can be easily polished out as they are not deep.  I have noticed another mark, a vertical etched line with two horizontal lines going across the middle.   My first thought were Nancy Daum, as the markings look very similar.   I am not sure whether Nancy Daum would make this type of vase  :-X.  If so, is there any possibility that Nancy Daum assisted in the design? It just seems very strange, that someone would go to the trouble of making these marks.  Surely this would indicate that this vase was of some significant importance, don't you think?
Marks are sometimes found on the enamelled ones, but not usually this sort.

I have looked at the Harrach vases and can see the similarities, especially paying attention to the supports and filigree.   Couldn't help myself to look at the other wonderful selection of glass.  I've included this site to my favourite collections  :).

I've tried taking natrual light pictures of the potil area, but the weather has not been too good and the quality of pictures taken were of poor quality, so I will attempt again over the weekend.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »
The vases might be Welz, rather than Harrach.

I have a pair of yellow-white spatter, ribbed vases which have what seems to be the same basic spiral pinchwork on the body. My vases have the typical triple, ribbed ball base over pinchwork feet known on several Welz items (see this section in Craig's site)

My thoughts, however, are focused on the spiral trailed pinchwork of the body and I do not know whether this may have been copied by other makers.

Edited to add pic (shown in another thread but I can't easily locate it right now).
KevinH

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
Hi KevnH,  What a lovely pair of vases you've got their.   I would love to own them.  :(  To have a pair, that's even better! ;D   With regards to the site you have provided,  I am not entirely convinced that my vase is or might be Welz.  I am sure someone on the GMB board will either confirm this.   I have thoroughly looked at the site and your vases and I cannot see  similarties.  It might be that I'm getting a little tired now. ::)   The pinch work, the shape of vase and pattern design are all different compared to the Harrach vases on the site provided by Christine.  I have sent various emails on some of my collections and since your reply, I have instantly received a reply from Graig.  He has know knowledge of this piece, however, finds it interesting indeed!   I will of course not rule out Welz entirely,  as you do have a lot more experience in glass than myself.  Your information has been of great help.   I am now glued to this vase and will continue my investigations.   

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »
The pinched rigaree added to the body in a spiral application is actually a decor detail that is known to have been used by Several companies. Ruckl, Harrach, Welz.... and likely others. Some of the pieces exhibiting this technique are likely 1920's Czech glass in what I would have to call a Victorian style revival.....

Great vases....  both the OP and Kev's

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:59:36 AM »
Thanks for that, Craig.

My own investigations on use of pinchwork on Bohemian style items have been limited to the usual books (mainly Truitt) and the few websites (including yours) that have provided excellent images and info.

It is interesting that there do not seem (from my searches) to be many examples of this type of decor, including pinchwork feet, in any of the web images. And the only section in the "1880-1940" Truitt book with several items of the general type is Welz.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand